Free circuit simulation software/website for beginners

In summary, beginners looking to learn about circuit simulation have a variety of free software and websites available to them. These tools provide a user-friendly interface and helpful tutorials to guide beginners in creating and testing electronic circuits. Some popular options include Tinkercad, CircuitLab, and LTspice. These resources allow beginners to experiment and gain hands-on experience with circuit simulation without having to invest in expensive software. With these tools, beginners can easily understand the fundamentals of circuit design and simulation, making it a valuable learning resource for those interested in electronics.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I was looking for simulation softwares that are free. I looked at some on the net, but they aren't satisfying my basic requirements. A simulation software should at least have the following for my use:
  • Arduino support
  • Support for buck converter
  • Solid state relay
  • Transformer
  • Variable AC supply
Many people use Fritzing, but I don't know whether it's a simulation software. I try to avoid Fritzing and draw the diagrams by hand, thus saving time and making the diagrams less complicated.

Any suggestions for such a software?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you mean by Arduino support? Simulation of your Arduino program?

Likes berkeman
anorlunda said:
Yeah. It should support the Arduino boards and also let me upload the program and simulate the circuit.

anorlunda said:
Great minds think alike... :smile:
Wrichik Basu said:
Yeah. It should support the Arduino boards and also let me upload the program and simulate the circuit.
That's a different kind of "simulator". You might be able to get what you want with some sort of "Emulator" software for the Arduino. Have you seen anything like that? You can write "Test Bench" test scripts for CPLDs and FPGAs (that is usually built into the design GUI for such chips), but simulating a microcontroller (uC) based on its program is a bit different.

Has anybody seen examples of those? We have some proprietary software like that where I work to simulate our embedded uCs, but that's proprietary and tailored just to our uCs.

berkeman said:
Has anybody seen examples of those?
Wow, a quick Google search on arduino emulator windows turns up lots of hits! Here's one of the first hits on the list:

https://windowsreport.com/arduino-simulators/

• Informative
Likes Wrichik Basu
berkeman said:
That's a different kind of "simulator". You might be able to get what you want with some sort of "Emulator" software for the Arduino. Have you seen anything like that? You can write "Test Bench" test scripts for CPLDs and FPGAs (that is usually built into the design GUI for such chips), but simulating a microcontroller (uC) based on its program is a bit different.
Nope, I haven't seen any emulator in electronics (the only one I've seen is for Android). I have neither heard of the scripts you mentioned. Actually, I have never worked directly with uC's, and due to my lack of knowledge in that field, I prefer the Arduino.

Related to Free circuit simulation software/website for beginners

1. What is circuit simulation software?

Circuit simulation software is a computer program that allows you to design, analyze and test electronic circuits without the need for physical components. It uses mathematical models to simulate the behavior of electronic components and predict the performance of a circuit.

2. Is there free circuit simulation software available for beginners?

Yes, there are several free circuit simulation software and websites available for beginners. Some popular options include LTSpice, CircuitLab, and EasyEDA. These programs offer a user-friendly interface and basic features that are suitable for beginners to learn and experiment with circuit design.

3. What are the benefits of using circuit simulation software?

Using circuit simulation software allows you to design and test circuits without the need for physical components, saving time and resources. It also enables you to troubleshoot and analyze circuit performance, helping you to identify and fix potential issues before building a physical circuit. Additionally, circuit simulation software can help you to learn and understand the fundamentals of circuit design and electronics.

4. Do I need any prior knowledge to use circuit simulation software?

While some basic understanding of electronics and circuit design may be helpful, most circuit simulation software and websites are designed for beginners and do not require extensive knowledge. Many programs also offer tutorials and guides to help users get started.

5. Can circuit simulation software accurately predict real-world circuit behavior?

While circuit simulation software can provide a good estimation of circuit behavior, it is not always 100% accurate. Factors such as component tolerances, environmental conditions, and circuit layout can affect the performance of a physical circuit. It is always recommended to test and verify the circuit in real life before using it in a practical application.