Free Alternatives to Excel for Accounting

• Thread starter Evenus1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Excel
In summary, the conversation discusses different alternatives to Microsoft Excel for accounting purposes. Some options mentioned include Open Office, LibreOffice, and Google Docs. It is mentioned that Google Docs can be used offline, but personal preference plays a role in choosing the best option. Other software such as gnucash is also mentioned as a potential alternative.
Evenus1
hi are there any good free alternatives to Microsoft excel to do accounts in
Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm biased to the Open Office fork LibreOffice

Likes diogenesNY
Google docs

I don't think Google Docs is a great alternative.
Because it requires you to have an internet connection.

I'm using LibreOffice aswell.

MFrielink said:
I don't think Google Docs is a great alternative.
Because it requires you to have an internet connection.

I'm using LibreOffice aswell.

That's not actually the case, you can download it and use it offline. Libre Office is alright, but for me Google Docs is better because the files are much more versatile and are more flexible to be opened by other software. Not only that but sharing is much easier through Google Docs.

I'm sorry, I actually did not know you could use Google Docs offline.
But however I think it remains a matter of preference.

Last edited:
MFrielink said:
I'm sorry, I actually did not know you could use Google Docs offline.
But however I think it remains is a matter of preference.

No problem. To a certain degree it's preference though it is fact that Google Docs offers more flexibility. Though despite all of this I'm still an Excel fan :)

I use Libre Office under Fedora linux.

Before I defenestrated from M$, I used Oo_O as an intermediate step. I am struggling to abandon the spread sheet calculation/computation paradigm for IPython interactive documents, but that is another steep learning curve and distraction.

Evenus1: What did you mean by "accounts"? If you are thinking accounting, maybe gnucash is what you are looking for.

Related to Free Alternatives to Excel for Accounting

1. What are some free alternatives to Excel for accounting?

Some popular free alternatives to Excel for accounting include Google Sheets, Zoho Sheet, and LibreOffice Calc. These programs offer similar features to Excel, such as the ability to create spreadsheets, perform calculations, and organize data.

2. Are these free alternatives as reliable as Excel for accounting purposes?

While Excel is a widely-used program for accounting, these free alternatives can also be reliable for accounting purposes. They offer similar functions and features, and can be used to create professional-looking spreadsheets for financial management.

3. Do these free alternatives have any limitations compared to Excel?

Some free alternatives may have limitations in terms of advanced features or compatibility with certain file formats. However, for basic accounting needs, these programs are often sufficient and can be a cost-effective solution.

4. Can I easily transfer my existing Excel files to these free alternatives?

Yes, most of these programs allow for easy importing of Excel files, making it simple to switch from Excel to a free alternative for accounting purposes. However, some formatting or advanced features may not transfer over seamlessly.

5. Are these free alternatives suitable for small businesses or only for personal use?

These free alternatives can be suitable for both personal and small business use. They offer basic accounting functions and can be a cost-effective option for businesses on a budget. However, for larger businesses with more complex accounting needs, a paid accounting software may be more suitable.