Francis diagrams and Acetaldehyde?

• Thread starter dRic2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagrams
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in drawing a line for Acetaldehyde in Francis diagrams without knowing its ΔG°(T) value. There is a question about whether qualitative considerations can be used to approximate the line, such as comparing the compound's stability to other hydrocarbons. However, there is uncertainty about how to compare acetaldehyde with methane, as most Francis diagrams only contain carbon and hydrogen compounds. The conversation concludes with the suggestion that thermodynamically, acetaldehyde may be more stable than a mixture of methane and oxygen, but this is only a guess as there are no examples of Francis diagrams with oxygen-containing compounds.
dRic2
Gold Member
Hi,

my professor asked a friend of mine to draw the line for Acetaldehyde in the Francis diagrams. How can someone answer that question without knowing ##ΔG°(T)## of Acetaldehyde? Are there some qualitative consideration that can help me draw an approximated line ?

For example I thought that @T=1000-1200°C ##C_3CHO## should be less stable of ##CH_4## (right?) and it also should be less stable of benzene. Are my assumptions correct? And for other hydrocarbon ?

Thanks
Ric

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how you would compare acetaldehyde with methane here. In the Francis diagrams I've seen, the compounds usually only contain carbon and hydrogen. With C, H, and O, you have to reference the heats of formation to the elements. So instead of comparing acetaldehyde and methane, you would have to compare acetaldehyde with methane + O2 (or maybe methane + CO). I would think that, thermodynamically, acetaldehyde would be more stable than a mixture of methane and oxygen. But I'm just kind of guessing here, as I've never seen a Francis diagram with oxygen-containing compounds.

Likes dRic2
TeethWhitener said:
I would think that, thermodynamically, acetaldehyde would be more stable than a mixture of methane and oxygen. But I'm just kind of guessing here, as I've never seen a Francis diagram with oxygen-containing compounds.

Me too, but this is as far as I can get. I can't think of anything more...

Related to Francis diagrams and Acetaldehyde?

1. What are Francis diagrams?

Francis diagrams are graphical representations of the energy landscape of a chemical reaction, depicting the energy of the reactants, intermediates, and products as a function of the reaction progress.

2. How are Francis diagrams used in chemistry?

Francis diagrams are used to understand and predict the thermodynamics and kinetics of a chemical reaction. They can also provide insight into the reaction mechanism and the stability of intermediates.

3. What is acetaldehyde?

Acetaldehyde is a colorless liquid with a pungent, fruity odor. It is a simple aldehyde with the chemical formula CH3CHO and is commonly used as a solvent and in the production of other chemicals.

4. What are the important properties of acetaldehyde?

Acetaldehyde is highly flammable and reactive, and can cause irritation to the eyes, skin, and respiratory tract. It is also an important intermediate in many organic reactions and is used in the production of acetic acid, ethanol, and other chemicals.

5. How is acetaldehyde produced?

Acetaldehyde can be produced through various methods such as oxidation of ethanol, dehydrogenation of ethylene glycol, and hydration of acetylene. It is also a natural byproduct of fermentation in the human body and is responsible for the hangover symptoms after drinking alcohol.