Frames of reference and vectors problem

In summary: Please show or describe your calculation/drawing, which gave you the results (15 m/s, NW).I used Pitagora theorem to get the value of 54 km/h that is 15 m/s, but the direction of the vector is north-west and not south-west.You've already got the velocity correct in the first place, the direction is correct like the book says (SW). Did you try to solve the (direction-)problem graphically or numerically? Please show me your attempt to be able to help you.
notsoclever

Homework Statement

A car is moving toward north with a speed of 35 km/h. A truck travels toward west with a speed of 42 km/h.
Which is the speed of the caravan according to the car's driver?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution given by the book is 15 m/s with direction south-west, but I get the solution of 15 m/s with direction north-west and I cannot get the reason.
Can you help me with this?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show or describe your calculation/drawing, which gave you the results (15 m/s, NW).

I used Pitagora theorem to get the value of 54 km/h that is 15 m/s, but the direction of the vector is north-west and not south-west.

You've already got the velocity correct in the first place, the direction is correct like the book says (SW). Did you try to solve the (direction-)problem graphically or numerically? Please show me your attempt to be able to help you.

notsoclever said:

Homework Statement

A car is moving toward north with a speed of 35 km/h. A truck travels toward west with a speed of 42 km/h.
Which is the speed of the caravan according to the car's driver?
Does "caravan" refer to the truck? In British English, a caravan is a trailer. In American English, a caravan is a collection of vehicles (also animals) that are traveling as a group.

The truck is roughly SW of the car. Perhaps the question could be rephrased as "how fast is the distance from the car to the truck changing?"
notsoclever said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution given by the book is 15 m/s with direction south-west, but I get the solution of 15 m/s with direction north-west and I cannot get the reason.
Can you help me with this?
Thanks

Related to Frames of reference and vectors problem

1. What is a frame of reference?

A frame of reference is a set of coordinates or a system used to describe the position and motion of an object. It is used to establish a point of reference for measuring the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object.

2. How are frames of reference and vectors related?

Vectors are used to describe the direction and magnitude of an object's motion in a particular frame of reference. The frame of reference provides the context for understanding the vector's components and how they relate to the object's motion.

3. What is the difference between a relative and an inertial frame of reference?

A relative frame of reference is a system of coordinates that is moving or accelerating with respect to an observer, while an inertial frame of reference is a system that is not accelerating and follows the laws of inertia. In other words, an inertial frame of reference is a non-accelerating frame while a relative frame is an accelerating frame.

4. How do you determine the direction and magnitude of a vector in a frame of reference?

The direction of a vector is determined by the angle it makes with a reference axis in the frame of reference, while the magnitude is determined by the length of the vector. The direction and magnitude of a vector can be calculated using trigonometric functions and the Pythagorean theorem.

5. Why is understanding frames of reference and vectors important in science?

Frames of reference and vectors are essential concepts in science because they help us accurately describe and analyze the motion of objects. They allow us to make predictions and calculations about an object's position, velocity, and acceleration, which are crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.