Frame Question: Trouble Solving Structural Members

• Thread starter Chappu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frame
In summary: For member CD, there is a force R at point C and also another force at point D that is equal but opposite. The components of R at point D are 700N and the reaction force from member ED.You need to work out their relationship.
Chappu
Hi! I am having trouble with this frame. To make a long story short, I did the problem and got the right answer. The issue is that when I wanted to try solving the problem by exploding the structure into individual members, I couldn't get an answer anymore and it's bothering me because I do not understand why it would not work. Please refer to the attachment.

I did not get very far. I simply exploded the structure and looked at the 2 force members DE and CD (I put the 700N on one of them) and tried solving ∑Fx=0 and ∑Fy=0
For member CD:
∑Fx: Cx-Dx=0 -> Cx=Dx -> C(cos45°)=D(cos45°) -> C=D
∑Fy: Cy-Dy-700N=0 -> C(sin45°)-D(sin45°)=700N -> (replace above equation here)
C(sin45°)-C(sin45°)=700N -> 0=700N ?

Attachments

• 10288760_447179892092726_2447006530164744633_n.jpg
    10288760_447179892092726_2447006530164744633_n.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You incorrectly assumed that the force D acts parallel to the member. The force D should act parallel to member ED.

paisiello2 said:
You incorrectly assumed that the force D acts parallel to the member. The force D should act parallel to member ED.

Alright that makes sense but if we were looking at member ED without the 700N why would the force be parallel to it in that case? I know it would have to be in order to keep it static but I am having trouble understanding what's the difference between these two situations.
Also, if the 700N was split up into let's say 350N on each, wouldn't that also change things?

Are you talking about the force D acting on member ED? I would say similarly that this force must be parallel with member CD.

paisiello2 said:
Are you talking about the force D acting on member ED? I would say similarly that this force must be parallel with member CD.

Wouldn't the member not be in static equilibrium then? Since its a 2 FM and even if the force at E counteracts it there would still be a net torque?

2 FM's can only transfer forces axially. There is no other way. Without the force at E there can be no forces generated in the members.

Likes 1 person
Sorry I am having a really hard time understanding this. Are my diagrams fine? How would that even work? How could the member without the 700N be in static equilibrium in that case? The forces at D wouldn't even be equal and opposite.
Without the 700N, it would not be in equilibrium then? and the 700N can't just be on one of the 2 FMs?

Attachments

• 10336773_447282658749116_5602928811279990034_n.jpg
    10336773_447282658749116_5602928811279990034_n.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
Your diagrams are not correct.

Maybe another way to think about it is to say there is a resultant force R acting at each end of a 2FM. The components are the other truss members and any nodal forces.

paisiello2 said:
Your diagrams are not correct.

Maybe another way to think about it is to say there is a resultant force R acting at each end of a 2FM. The components are the other truss members and any nodal forces.

Do you think it would be possible for you to provide the correct diagram so I can visualize it a little better? Sorry for it taking so long to sink in its just I thought I understood it before so I am not sure what parts how I was looking at it are incorrect

I don't think I need to draw it.

For member CD, there is a force R at point C and also another force at point D that is equal but opposite. The components of R at point D are 700N and the reaction force from member ED.

Now these components are not 90° to one another. So you need to work out their relationship.

Last edited:

Related to Frame Question: Trouble Solving Structural Members

1. What is the purpose of "Frame Question: Trouble Solving Structural Members"?

The purpose of this type of frame question is to identify and address any issues or difficulties that may arise when solving problems related to structural members in a scientific or engineering context.

2. How do you determine the load capacity of a structural member?

The load capacity of a structural member is determined by considering factors such as the material properties, geometry, and support conditions of the member. This information can then be used to calculate the maximum load that the member can withstand before failure.

3. What are some common challenges when solving problems involving structural members?

Some common challenges when solving problems involving structural members include determining the correct forces and loads acting on the member, selecting appropriate materials and dimensions, and considering the effects of external factors such as temperature and environmental conditions.

4. How can structural analysis software aid in solving problems related to structural members?

Structural analysis software can aid in solving problems related to structural members by providing accurate and efficient calculations of forces, stresses, and deformations in the member. This can help to identify potential issues and optimize the design for maximum performance and safety.

5. What are some strategies for troubleshooting structural member problems?

Some strategies for troubleshooting structural member problems include double-checking calculations, considering alternative solutions, and seeking input from other experts in the field. It is also important to thoroughly understand the problem and the underlying principles of structural mechanics.