Frame of reference question about equivalence principle

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the equivalence principle and its relation to gravity and direction. The topic of the total pull of gravity of the universe is brought up, with a mention of the Great Attractor and the concept of dark flow. The possibility of the plank survey shedding light on the idea of dark flow is mentioned, and its potential implications for gravity and inertia are discussed.
brenan
I've been giving some thought to the new scientist article about the equivalence principle.
What initially seems like a very simple issue is remarkably tantalising. (please note- I'm not a physicist so this may be quite stupid) This led me on a little to

the question of gravity and direction and my train of thought
leads to the question : Has anyone calculated or done any work relating the the total
pull of gravity of the universe entirely ? Especially from the point of view - Does it have a direction? Could such a thing be calculated.

This sounds like the "is the expansion uniform" question but I think maybe its somewhat different.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, maybe not the entire universe, but on a very large scale see the Great Attractor. Also the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_flowhttp://.

Fascinating links Bill - thank you. I had no idea this concept existed.

Reading through them it seems my suspicions about something may not be
quite so daft but apparently we need the data from the plank survey which is due for release this year to shed light on the dark flow idea. Certainly the graphic images we have seem to suggest (if I am interpreting the shapes correctly) a definable line of galaxies clustering in a pattern of some sort.

If that should tend to confirm the dark flow it opens up some very interesting possibilities for gravity and inertia concepts. At least I think so.

Related to Frame of reference question about equivalence principle

1. What is the equivalence principle?

The equivalence principle is a fundamental concept in physics that states that the effects of gravity are indistinguishable from the effects of acceleration. This means that an observer in a uniformly accelerating frame of reference would experience the same physical phenomena as an observer in a gravitational field.

2. How does the equivalence principle relate to frame of reference?

The equivalence principle implies that there is no preferred or absolute frame of reference in the universe. All inertial frames of reference are equally valid, and the laws of physics should be the same in all frames. This means that the effects of gravity can be described from any frame of reference, whether it is an accelerating frame or a gravitational frame.

3. What is the significance of the equivalence principle?

The equivalence principle is significant because it allows us to use the laws of physics in one frame of reference to describe phenomena in another frame of reference. This has been crucial in the development of theories like general relativity, which explains gravity as the curvature of spacetime rather than a force between masses. It also has practical applications, such as in the design of space missions.

4. How does the equivalence principle differ from Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion do not take into account the effects of gravity, whereas the equivalence principle shows that gravity is, in fact, a form of acceleration. Additionally, Newton's laws assume that there is a preferred frame of reference, while the equivalence principle states that all inertial frames are equally valid.

5. Is the equivalence principle a proven concept?

While the equivalence principle has been extensively tested and is a fundamental principle in modern physics, it is still an ongoing area of research. Scientists continue to test the principle in various scenarios, such as in the presence of strong gravitational fields, to further confirm its validity.