Fractions and Rational Numbers

In summary, the conversation revolves around reducing fractions and determining how many fractions can be reduced to integers. The first question asks if 3715/990 has been reduced all the way to 743/198. The second question asks how many of the 100 fractions using natural numbers from 1-10 can be reduced to integers, with the speaker stating that they believe it to be 27. The final question asks how many different numbers will result if all the fractions are reduced, with the speaker saying they believe it to be 10. The response to the final question is a motion to ban someone named Mulliday.
sjaguar13
I got a few questions. First of all, I reduced 3715/990 to 743/198. Is that reduced all the way?

Second, using the natural number, 1-10, as either the numerator or denominator of a fraction, there is 100 fractions, 1/1, 2/1,...,10/1, 1/2, 2/2,...10/10. How many of these reduce to integers. I say 27, all of the ones (10), evens over 2 (5), multiples of 3 over three (3), multiples of 4 over 4 (2), 5 and 10 over 5 (2), and then 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 over themselves (5)

If we reduce all of these fractions, how many different numbers do we get? I say 10. There was ten to begin with and they all appear over 1.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I got a few questions. First of all, I reduced 3715/990 to 743/198. Is that reduced all the way?

If we reduce all of these fractions, how many different numbers do we get? I say 10. There was ten to begin with and they all appear over 1.

Yes and yes.

I motion to ban Mulliday...

Related to Fractions and Rational Numbers

What are fractions and rational numbers?

Fractions and rational numbers are numbers that represent a part of a whole. They can be written as a ratio of two integers, where the denominator is not equal to zero.

How do you add and subtract fractions?

To add or subtract fractions, you need to have a common denominator. This can be achieved by finding the lowest common multiple of the denominators. Once the fractions have a common denominator, you can simply add or subtract the numerators and keep the denominator the same.

How do you multiply and divide fractions?

To multiply fractions, simply multiply the numerators and denominators separately. To divide fractions, you need to invert the second fraction and then multiply it by the first fraction.

What is a mixed number?

A mixed number is a combination of a whole number and a proper fraction. For example, 2 1/2 is a mixed number, where 2 is the whole number and 1/2 is the proper fraction.

How do you convert a fraction to a decimal?

To convert a fraction to a decimal, divide the numerator by the denominator using long division. The result will be a decimal number. You can also use a calculator to convert fractions to decimals.