Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

fractional part Eq.

jacks

Apr 5, 2012
Calculate $x$ in $\{x^2\}+\{x\} = 1$

where $\{x\} = $ fractional part of $x$

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Calculate $x$ in $\{x^2\}+\{x\} = 1$

where $\{x\} = $ fractional part of $x$
Hi jacks, :)

According to Wolfram, both solutions of the quadratic equation, \(x^2+x=1\) are solutions of \(\{x^2\}+\{x\} = 1\). That is,

\[x=-\frac{\sqrt{5}+1}{2}\mbox{ and }x=\frac{\sqrt{5}-1}{2}\]

are solutions of \(\{x^2\}+\{x\} = 1\).

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi jacks, :)

According to Wolfram, both solutions of the quadratic equation, \(x^2+x=1\) are solutions of \(\{x^2\}+\{x\} = 1\). That is,

\[x=-\frac{\sqrt{5}+1}{2}\mbox{ and }x=\frac{\sqrt{5}-1}{2}\]

are solutions of \(\{x^2\}+\{x\} = 1\).

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.
The first solution does not satisfy the original equation. I'm not exactly sure what WolframAlpha is doing there, but I don't think it's solving the original equation. The second solution does satisfy the original equation.

[EDIT]: See posts below for more clarification.

Last edited:

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
Forgetting for the moment any problems about negative values of $x$, notice that for any positive integer $n$, the positive solution of the equation $x^2+x = n$ will satisfy $\{x^2\} + \{x\} = 1$, unless that solution is an integer.

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
The first solution does not satisfy the original equation. I'm not exactly sure what WolframAlpha is doing there, but I don't think it's solving the original equation. The second solution does satisfy the original equation.

[EDIT]: See posts below for more clarification.
Yes, as chisigma had mentioned there is an ambiguity in the definition, however taking \(\{x\}=x- \lfloor x \rfloor\,\forall x\in\Re\), both solutions satisfy the original equation.

Forgetting for the moment any problems about negative values of $x$, notice that for any positive integer $n$, the positive solution of the equation $x^2+x = n$ will satisfy $\{x^2\} + \{x\} = 1$, unless that solution is an integer.
Indeed, but just for the curiosity, can you explain how you thought about this. :)

If we take, \(\{x\}=x- \lfloor x \rfloor\,\forall x\in\Re\) as the definition of \(\{x\}\), I think that all the roots(except integers) of the equations \(x^2+x = n\) are solutions of the original equation. That is,

\[x=\frac{-1\pm\sqrt{4\,n+1}}{2}\mbox{ where }n\in\mathbb{Z}\, \wedge \,x\notin\mathbb{Z}\]

are solutions of \(\{x^2\} + \{x\} = 1\). Furthermore by looking at this, I feel that these seem to be the only solutions of the original equation.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012