Fractional exponents of negative

In summary, the conversation discusses graphing a function with a rational exponent and the potential issues of graphing the imaginary component. The idea of a 3D graph with the z-axis representing the imaginary component is proposed, but there are concerns about uniqueness when graphing fractional exponents.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I've been toying around with stuff I probably shouldn't be. :biggrin:

I've been sketching a graph of y=x^n where n is a rational number (as opposed to an integer).

Of course, when I get into the fractional exponents, the negative portion of the curve ends up being imaginary (eg. x=-2,n=2.5 then y = squareroot(-32) or about 5.6i ).

Before I actually attempt to sketch this on paper, has it been done already?

It'll be a 3D graph where the z-axis is the imaginary axis. The positive x side will look normal, the negative side will flip between positive y and negative y (also normal), but it will pass through the imaginary space with each flip.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by flip between positive y and negative y, but in terms of graphing the imaginary component of the output, it sounds like a pretty good idea. Go for it.

You're going to run into some issues of uniqueness. When you graph [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] we know to take the positive values because that's what we do. When you take [tex]\sqrt{-1}[/tex] what is the positive value? It's kind of "obvious" in this case that it's i, not -i. But what about when you're graphing [tex](-1)^{\frac{1}{8}}[/tex]? You have

0.923879533 + 0.382683432i
0.382683432 + 0.923879533i

(and some other numbers) raised to the eight power give -1. Which one do you take?

Last edited:
Office_Shredder said:
I'm not sure what you mean by flip between positive y and negative y
When graphing it looking at only the integer n's, x^2 has its -ive component in positive y. x^3 has its -ive component in negative y. So somehere in there it flips. Having not seen the graph using fractional exponents, I don't really know what form the flip takes (except that it's smooth and imaginary).

Related to Fractional exponents of negative

What are fractional exponents?

Fractional exponents are a way of expressing powers or roots of a number that are not whole numbers. They are also known as rational exponents.

What does a negative exponent mean?

A negative exponent indicates the reciprocal of the corresponding positive exponent. For example, 2-3 is equivalent to 1/23.

How do you simplify expressions with fractional exponents?

To simplify an expression with fractional exponents, you can use the properties of exponents and rewrite the expression in radical form. For example, 23/2 can be rewritten as √23, which is equal to 23/2 = √(23) = √8 = 2√2.

Can fractional exponents be negative?

Yes, fractional exponents can be negative. This indicates the power or root of a number with a negative exponent. For example, √2-3 = 1/√23 = 1/8.

How are fractional exponents used in real life?

Fractional exponents are used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, to represent quantities that are not whole numbers, such as measurements, rates, and scaling factors. They are also used in financial calculations, such as compound interest and present value, and in computer programming to represent numbers with decimal values.