How can I accurately calculate mutual inductance between a coil and a magnet?

In summary, the conversation is about trying to calculate the mutual inductance between a coil with 100 turns and a magnet. The person has been using Neumann's formula but has encountered a problem due to the finite diameter of the wires. They are seeking input and mentioning the use of a software tool like COMSOL for more complex geometries.
HiEdgar
Hi, All:

I am trying to calculate the mutual inductance between the coil (100 turns) and the magnet. Does anybody know any approaches that may lead a satisfactory answer.

So far, I have been using Neumann's formula which is the formula for mutual inductance, M, between two loops. I treated my magnet as another coil and used Neumann's formula to determine M then. The problem with that is that the diameter of the wires of my coil are finite whereas neumann's formula treats them as infinitisemally small. Because of this, my M became a funciton of magnet's wire diameter, which is not right. Any input is appreciated.

Thank you,

Edgar

Engineering news on Phys.org
That is a notoriously difficult problem. For other than the simplest geomery, you will need a software tool such as COMSOL.

What is mutual inductance calculation?

Mutual inductance calculation refers to the process of determining the amount of mutual inductance between two or more coils in a circuit. Mutual inductance is a measure of the ability of one coil to induce a voltage in another coil.

What factors affect mutual inductance?

The amount of mutual inductance between two coils is affected by several factors, including the number of turns in each coil, the distance between the coils, and the materials used in the coils.

How is mutual inductance calculated?

Mutual inductance is calculated using the formula M = k*√(L1*L2), where M is the mutual inductance, k is the coupling coefficient, and L1 and L2 are the self-inductances of the two coils. The coupling coefficient is a measure of the magnetic coupling between the two coils.

What is the unit of mutual inductance?

The unit of mutual inductance is henrys (H), which is the same unit as inductance. This reflects the fact that mutual inductance is a measure of the inductive coupling between two coils.

Why is mutual inductance calculation important?

Mutual inductance calculation is important in many applications of electromagnetism, such as in transformers and inductors. It helps engineers design circuits and devices that efficiently transfer energy through inductive coupling.