Fraction of Students Not Going on Trip with Given Junior and Senior Numbers

In summary, of the students in the school, 2/3 are going on a trip and 1/4 are not going on the trip.
zak100

Homework Statement

1/4 of all the juniors and 2/3 of all the seniors are going on a trip. If there are 2/3 as many juniors as seniors, what fraction of the students are not going on the trip?

Homework Equations

Simple fraction based equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not Going to Trip = 1/4Juniors(J) + 2/3Seniors(S)I am not able to solve it completely because I can't understand what is meant by "2/3 as many juniors as seniors". I think that J=2/3S.

Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.

Physics news on Phys.org
zak100 said:
I think that J=2/3S.
This is correct. What fraction of all students are then juniors?

Hi,
What fraction of all students are then juniors?

It is not given in the question. I am not able to understand:
there are 2/3 as many juniors as seniors

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,It is not given in the question. I am not able to understand:

Zulfi.

You have already been told that your expression ##J = (2/3)S## is correct.

Hi,
Trip= 1/J + 2/3*3/2J
Trip= 5J/4
Now we have three unknowns and two equations. How can we solve it? Should we suppose value.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,It is not given in the question. I am not able to understand:

Zulfi.

You are missing a crucial assumption that is subtextual. How large a fraction of the total students are juniors or seniors?

Hi,
I have not considered students not going to trip but it would create one more unknown. How to solve this problem.

Zulf.

zak100 said:
How to solve this problem.
By thinking about the hints you are given and using them instead of ignoring them. You have still to answer the question posed in both post #2 and #6.

Hi,
Post#2 answer= 5j/4 (as shown in post#5)
Post#6 answer=I don't know. (You are asking for large. However Question is not asking any large value. It is asking what fraction of students did not go for the trip.)
Kindly tell me if my post#2 answer is correct or not??

Zulfi.

Last edited:
From post #2:
Orodruin said:
What fraction of all students are then juniors?

zak100 said:
Post#2 answer= 5j/4 (as shown in post#5)
No, this isn't possible. The number of juniors can't be 5/4 of the number of juniors.

The question does not ask for the total numbers of juniors and seniors. Further, there isn't enough information given to be able to determine these numbers. However, there is enough information to answer the question.

I'll try to help you get started in a more organized way.
Let J = the number of juniors
Let S = the number of seniors
  • The number of juniors and seniors is J + S
  • The number of juniors and seniors going on the trip is ##\frac J 4 + \frac{2S} 3## -- you have this in post #1
  • It's given that there are 2/3 as many juniors as seniors, so ##J = \frac 2 3 S## -- you also have this in post #1

Now, what expression represents the total number of juniors and seniors NOT going on the trip?

Once you have that, you can write a fraction that represents the fraction of juniors and seniors not going on the trip.

Hi,
I found that deriving equation is really a difficult for me. So i have switched to using values. This is what GRE is also doing. However, i did not look at their solution but my answer is correct.

JTrip = 1/4J
STrip = 2/3S
Now its given J= (2/3)S
At this point its clear that Senior S is greater than Junior J. So let's chose 90 as the value for S.
J=(2/3 ) 90 = 60
Now JTrip = (1/4) * 60 = 15
STrip = (2/3) * 90 = 60
Total on Trip = 60 +15 = 75
Total in School = 90 + 60 = 150
Total not in Trip = 150-75=75
Fraction = 75/150 = 1/2

Zulfi.

Related to Fraction of Students Not Going on Trip with Given Junior and Senior Numbers

What are the reasons for students not going to school?

There are several reasons why students may not go to school, including illness, family emergencies, transportation issues, bullying, and mental health concerns.

How does missing school affect students?

Missing school can have a negative impact on students' academic performance, social skills, and overall well-being. It can lead to falling behind in class, feeling isolated from peers, and experiencing increased stress and anxiety.

What can schools do to support students who are not attending school regularly?

Schools can provide resources such as counseling services, peer support groups, and flexible attendance policies to help students who are struggling to attend school regularly. They can also work with families to address any underlying issues that may be causing students to miss school.

What are the long-term consequences of students not going to school?

Regular attendance is crucial for students to develop important skills and knowledge for their future. Not going to school regularly can lead to lower academic achievement, decreased job opportunities, and overall lower quality of life.

What measures can be taken to prevent students from not attending school?

To prevent students from not attending school, it is important for schools to create a supportive and inclusive environment, address any bullying or safety concerns, and provide resources for students who may be struggling academically or emotionally. It is also important for parents and caregivers to prioritize and encourage regular attendance and address any issues that may be preventing their child from attending school.