Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Foxtrot

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
(Rofl) Read this one :

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Hey Balarka,

When I saw the topic title, I thought you were going to teach us to dance! (Giggle)

Even though it has been many years since I was in school, I still sometimes have the "anxiety dream," i.e., that it is the day of the final, I have done no preparation, brought no supplies, and I have shown up to school in underwear only...(Whew)

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
MarkFL said:
When I saw the topic title, I thought you were going to teach us to dance!
(Rofl) Okay, let's Dance then : Cha-La, Head-Cha-La... (Rock)

I never had any type of nervousness before or after my math tests. Maybe because math is my favourite subject?

MarkFL, wanna see how to make a funny topic serious? Write a closed form expression for the sum given in the comic in the question #2 of the test paper*.

PS* : This is called Foxtrot series and that was the thing I was looking for and accedentally found this page of the original comic.

Last edited:

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
I sometimes have a dream that the time of exam finishes before answering most of the questions . Also, an exam on a certain subject turns out to contain questions from other subjects :eek:.

- - - Updated - - -

PS* : This is called Foxtrot series and that was the thing I was looking for and accedentally found this page of the original comic.
I was thinking whether this is solvable :confused:.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I never had the dream before an actual final, just at seemingly random times.

That "Foxtrot series" looks like too much fun at 4:16 am...(Giggle)

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
ZaidAlyafey said:
I was thinking whether this is solvable
The sum reduces to \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3} \left (1 - \ln(2) + \pi \sec(\sqrt{3} \pi/2) \right )\)

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
The sum reduces to \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3} \left (1 - \ln(2) + \pi \sec(\sqrt{3} \pi/2) \right )\)
Did you use the digamma function?

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
Did you use the digamma function?
I didn't do anything, but yes, there is an application of digamma in the derivation.

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
That must be the hyperbolic function , I thought of solving the sum using partial fraction decomposition then solving by residues...

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
Yes, sorry that sec should be sech.

ZaidAlyafey" said:
I thought of solving the sum using partial fraction decomposition then solving by residues
I don't think residues are best method to do this; however, have you been able to use residues?

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
Yes, sorry that sec should be sech.

I don't think residues are best method to do this; however, have you been able to use residues?
Ok, I will post the solution if I can figure that out ..