Fourier Transform - Solving for Impulse Response

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the impulse response h(t) using the given excitation signal x(t) and output signal y(t). The approach involves taking the Fourier transform of each element in the output signal and using the convolution theorem to solve for H(f). The individual steps for finding the Fourier transforms are also discussed.
Abide

Homework Statement

I'm trying to Solve for an impulse response h(t) Given the excitation signal x(t) and the output signal y(t)

x(t) = 4rect(t/2)
y(t) = 10[(1-e-(t+1))u(t+1) - (1-e-(t-1))u(t-1)]
h(t) = ?

y(t) = h(t)*x(t) --> '*' meaning convolution!

I am unsure how to take the Fourier Transform of the elements in the output signal. I have posted my attempts below and I would like to know if I am going this correctly or not, Thanks!

Homework Equations

Using the multiplication - convolution duality I know that we need to take the Fourier transform of each element giving us the following...

Y(f) = H(f)X(f)

Which then allows us to solve for H(f) by Y(f)/X(f)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I distributed the unit step functions in y(t) giving...

y(t) = 10[u(t+1)-e-(t+1)u(t+1) - u(t-1) + e-(t-1)u(t-1)

Now I take the Fourier transform of each element in y(t)

F(u(t+1)) = 1/(jω+(02))(ej2∏f)

F(e-(t+1)u(t+1)) = 1/(jω+(12))(e-j2∏f)

I got this by using the following definition of the Fourier Transform
e-Atu(t) <---> 1/(jω+A2) for A > 0I was curious as to if anyone could give me some insight on whether I am performing these operations correctly or not. I apologize if I left out any information!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Find the Fourier transforms of x(t) and y(t),then use the convolution theorem and inverse transform.

Ok, but my question was more about whether I am performing the transform correctly , thank you for your response

Related to Fourier Transform - Solving for Impulse Response

1. What is the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a signal into its constituent frequencies. It transforms a time-domain signal into a frequency-domain signal, representing how much of each frequency is present in the original signal.

2. How is the Fourier Transform used to solve for impulse response?

The Fourier Transform can be used to solve for the impulse response of a system by taking the inverse Fourier Transform of the transfer function. This results in the impulse response in the time-domain, which represents the output of the system when an impulse input is applied.

3. What is an impulse response?

An impulse response is the output of a system when an impulse input is applied. It represents the system's behavior over time and can be used to analyze the system's characteristics, such as stability and frequency response.

4. What are the applications of Fourier Transform in signal processing?

The Fourier Transform has many applications in signal processing, including filtering, noise reduction, spectral analysis, and image processing. It is also used in fields such as telecommunications, audio and video compression, and medical imaging.

5. What are the limitations of using Fourier Transform to solve for impulse response?

The Fourier Transform assumes that the system is linear and time-invariant, which may not always be the case. It also requires a continuous and infinite time-domain signal, which may not be practical in real-world scenarios. Additionally, the Fourier Transform does not consider the system's initial conditions, which may affect the impulse response.