Fourier Transform Real Function Wave Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a function that satisfies a linear wave equation and has specific initial conditions. The question is to prove that the Fourier Transform of this function is in the lower complex plane. The individual asking the question shares their attempted solution using the Convolution property, but is stuck and seeks further assistance. However, they later mention that the problem has been solved in class and no longer require help.
VVS
Hello,

I hope somebody can help me with this.

1. Homework Statement

I am supposed to show that if there is a function [itex]\phi(x,t)[/itex] which is real, satisfies a linear wave equation and which satisfies [itex]\phi(x,0)=0[/itex] for [itex]x<0[/itex] then the Fourier Transform [itex]\tilde{\phi}(k)[/itex] of [itex]\phi(x,0)[/itex] is in the lower complex plane.

Homework Equations

The Fourier Transform of [itex]\phi(x,0)[/itex] is [itex]\tilde{\phi}(k)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int\phi(x,0)e^{-ikx}dx[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically my idea was to multiply [itex]\phi(x,0)[/itex] by the Heaviside function, since that would make no difference and then take the Fourier Transform: [itex]\tilde{\phi}(k)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int\phi(x,0)u(x)e^{-ikx}dx[/itex]. Then you can use the Convolution property and write: [itex]\tilde{\phi}(k)=\mathbb{F}(\phi(x,0))*\mathbb{F}(u(x))=\mathbb{F}(\phi(x,0))*\frac{1}{2}\left(\delta(k)+\frac{1}{ik}\right)[/itex]. Then you can use the linearity of the convolution and you obtain an integral equation:
[itex]\tilde{\phi}(k)=\tilde{\phi}(k)*\frac{1}{ik}[/itex]
Then I can split [itex]\tilde{\phi}(k)=\tilde{\phi_{re}}(k)+i\tilde{\phi_{im}}(k)[/itex]
So basically the real part is the imaginary part convolved and the imaginary part is the real part convolved.
Now I am stuck. Somehow if I can show that the real part is positive then it will always be in the lower complex plane.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Hey thanks for the reply.
We solved the problem in class so there is no more need for help.

Related to Fourier Transform Real Function Wave Equation

1. What is the Fourier Transform Real Function Wave Equation?

The Fourier Transform Real Function Wave Equation is a mathematical equation used to describe the propagation of a wave through a medium. It relates the spatial and temporal variations of a wave to its frequency spectrum.

2. How is the Fourier Transform Real Function Wave Equation used in science?

The Fourier Transform Real Function Wave Equation is used in various scientific disciplines, including physics, engineering, and signal processing. It helps in analyzing and understanding the behavior of waves in different systems and allows for the prediction of future wave behavior.

3. What is the difference between the Fourier Transform and the Fourier Transform Real Function Wave Equation?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation used to transform a function from the time or space domain to the frequency domain. The Fourier Transform Real Function Wave Equation is a specific application of the Fourier Transform that is used to describe the behavior of waves in a given system.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Fourier Transform Real Function Wave Equation?

The Fourier Transform Real Function Wave Equation is used in a wide range of applications, such as in telecommunications, image and signal processing, and medical imaging. It is also used in the study of seismology, electromagnetics, and quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any limitations to the Fourier Transform Real Function Wave Equation?

Like any mathematical model, the Fourier Transform Real Function Wave Equation has limitations. It assumes linear, time-invariant systems and cannot accurately predict the behavior of non-linear systems. It is also limited by the accuracy of the measurements used to obtain the input data.