Fourier transform of the exponential characteristic function

In summary, the author is discussing a method for deconvolution which is applicable when the assumption of absolute continuity is violated. The method involves using a non-classical kernel type estimator.
AnnapolisStar
I am trying to compute the inverse Fourier transform numerically (using a DFT) for some complicated characteristic functions in order to compute their corresponding probability distribution functions. As a test case I thought I would invert the characteristic function for the simple exponential distribution but my resulting distribution function evaluated at x=0is off by a factor of 2.

Specifically if I evaluate the integral analytically first (which I can do for the simple integral) and then plug in x= 0 I get the correct answer

[tex]f(x) = {\textstyle{1 \over {2\pi }}}\int\limits_{ - \infty }^\infty {{e^{ - iux}}{\textstyle{\alpha \over {\alpha - iu}}}} du = \alpha {e^{ - \alpha x}} = \alpha [/tex]

[tex]f(x) = {\textstyle{1 \over {2\pi }}}\int\limits_{ - \infty }^\infty {{e^{ - iux}}{\textstyle{\alpha \over {\alpha - iu}}}} du = \alpha {e^{ - \alpha x}} = \alpha [/tex]

If I substitute x = 0 first before integrating (as you must do with any numerical algorithm for which you don't know the integral apriori) and then evaluate the integral numerically or analytically (which you can do in this simple case) you will get the wrong answer.

[tex]f(0) = {\textstyle{1 \over {2\pi }}}\int\limits_{ - \infty }^\infty {{\textstyle{\alpha \over {\alpha - iu}}}} du = \alpha /2[/tex]

It is off by a factor of two! It is not just at zero either - the answer is wrong but progressively better for larger x values. Since this integral gives the same wrong answer either numerically or analytically I know it is not a round off problem

This seems to be a common problem with a lot of distributions. Interestingly when I look at algorithms in "Numerical Receipes Art of Programming" for computing the Fourier transform with a DFT or when I look at the considerable literture on the web for evaluating Fourier transforms numerically they never seem to mention this problem and they get lost in the mathematics of fractional FFT's and Kernal functions etc. This seems to be a major problem with any numerical procedure for Fourier transforms and a problem common to a lot of distribution functions which exhibit discontinuities.

How do you handle this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The issue here is that the c.f. isn't integrable (in the absolute sense), which tends to happen when the distribution has atoms. You could try subtracting the atoms; or apply the Levy inversion theorem and related results to get the cdf and the point masses.

Last edited:

Related to Fourier transform of the exponential characteristic function

1. What is the Fourier transform of the exponential characteristic function?

The Fourier transform of the exponential characteristic function is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time or space into a function of frequency. In the case of the exponential characteristic function, its Fourier transform is a complex-valued function that represents the amplitude and phase of the exponential function in the frequency domain.

2. How is the Fourier transform of the exponential characteristic function calculated?

The Fourier transform of the exponential characteristic function is calculated using the formula: F(f(x)) = ∫-∞ f(x)e-2πixωdx, where f(x) is the exponential characteristic function and ω represents the frequency variable.

3. What is the significance of the Fourier transform of the exponential characteristic function in signal processing?

In signal processing, the Fourier transform of the exponential characteristic function is used to analyze signals in the frequency domain. This allows for the identification of specific frequencies present in a signal, which can be useful for filtering, compression, and other signal processing techniques.

4. Can the Fourier transform of the exponential characteristic function be used to solve differential equations?

Yes, the Fourier transform of the exponential characteristic function can be used to solve differential equations in the frequency domain. This is because the Fourier transform converts differential equations into algebraic equations, which can be easier to solve.

5. Are there any applications of the Fourier transform of the exponential characteristic function in real-world problems?

Yes, the Fourier transform of the exponential characteristic function has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used in areas such as signal processing, image processing, and data analysis to extract useful information from signals and data sets.