Fourier transform of a modified impulse train

In summary, the Fourier Transform (FT) of x(t)=\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}((-1)^{n}\delta(t-nT)) can be written as X(j\omega)=\frac{\pi}{T}\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}\delta\left(\omega-\frac{\pi n}{T}\right)[1-(-1)^n]. This can be derived by rewriting x(t) as a sum of two impulse trains, using the time shifting and linearity properties of the Fourier Transform, and then simplifying the expression using the fact that e^{-j\omega T} can be written as (-1)^n when dealing with an impulse train.
naimad
I need to find the Fourier Transform (FT) of:

[tex]x(t)=\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}((-1)^{n}\delta(t-nT))[/tex]

Not really sure how to solve this problem, so any help will be appreciated.

Also, if you guys know a good reference for non-uniform sampling and reconstruction, please post it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
naimad said:
I need to find the Fourier Transform (FT) of:
[tex]x(t)=\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}((-1)^{n}\delta(t-nT))[/tex]

Note: I think my answer below is correct, but I've never found a way to check my answers when finding the FT... So, if someone with more experience could verify this, I would appreciate it!

Notice first that all the impulses at odd values of [itex]n[/itex] are being subtracted, while all the impulses at even values of [itex]n[/itex] are being added. This suggests that we write [itex]x(t)[/itex] as follows:

[tex]x(t)=\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}\delta(t-2nT) - \sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}\delta(t-(2n+1)T) [/tex]

[tex]=\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}\delta(t-2nT) - \sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}\delta(t-2nT-T)[/tex]

Now let

[tex]\hat{x}(t) = \sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}\delta(t-2nT)[/tex]

This is a standard impulse train with period 2T. From any table of basic Fourier Transforms:

[tex]\hat{X}(j\omega) = \frac{2\pi}{2T}\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}\delta\left(\omega-\frac{2\pi n}{2T}\right) = \frac{\pi}{T}\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}\delta\left(\omega-\frac{\pi n}{T}\right)[/tex]

Now notice that [itex]x(t)[/itex], above, can be written as:

[tex]x(t)=\hat{x}(t)-\hat{x}(t-T)[/itex]

We already know the Fourier transform for [itex]\hat{x}(t)[/itex]; now we just need to use the time shifting property to find the transform for [itex]\hat{x}(t-T)[/itex]:

[tex]FT \{\hat{x}(t-T)\} = e^{-j\omega T}\hat{X}(j\omega)[/tex]

Now, by linearity:

[tex]X(j\omega)=\hat{X}(j\omega)-e^{-j\omega T}\hat{X}(j\omega)
=\hat{X}(j\omega)[1-e^{-j\omega T}][/tex]

And since we are dealing with an impulse train, the only values of [itex]\omega[/itex] we have to deal with are those at:

[tex]\omega=\frac{\pi n}{T}[/tex] (since the impulse will be 0 everywhere else).

From this we can write:

[tex]e^{-j\omega T}=e^{-j\pi n }=(-1)^n[/tex]

So our final answer will be:

[tex]X(j\omega)=\frac{\pi}{T}\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}\delta\left(\omega-\frac{\pi n}{T}\right)[1-(-1)^n][/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks WolfOfTheSteps, I checked it out with a friend and it seems to be correct.

Still, if anybody knows a good reference for non-uniform sampling and reconstruction, please post it.

Related to Fourier transform of a modified impulse train

1. What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a signal into its individual frequency components. It takes a time-domain signal and converts it into a frequency-domain representation, allowing for analysis of the signal's frequency content.

2. What is an impulse train?

An impulse train, also known as a Dirac comb, is a theoretical signal consisting of an infinite series of Dirac delta functions spaced equally apart in time. It is often used as a model for periodic signals.

3. How is an impulse train modified?

An impulse train can be modified by changing the amplitude, width, or spacing of the individual impulses. This results in a modified impulse train, which may have different properties and frequency content compared to the original impulse train.

4. What is the significance of taking the Fourier transform of a modified impulse train?

Taking the Fourier transform of a modified impulse train allows for the analysis of the frequency content of the modified signal. This can provide insights into how the modifications affect the overall signal and can be useful in signal processing applications.

5. How is the Fourier transform of a modified impulse train calculated?

The Fourier transform of a modified impulse train can be calculated using the properties of the Fourier transform and the impulse function. The modified signal can be decomposed into its individual Fourier components, which can then be combined to obtain the overall Fourier transform of the signal.