Fourier transform of a gaussian

In summary, the conversation discusses applying a Fourier transform to a given Gaussian function and finding the integral formula for the transformed function. The process involves completing the square in the exponent inside the integrand and using a formula to simplify the integral. The final result is shown to match the expected answer.
skate_nerd
I'm given a Gaussian function to apply a Fourier transform to.
$$f(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{a\sqrt{\pi}}}e^{ik_ox}e^{-\frac{x^2}{2a^2}}$$
Not the most appetizing integral...
$$g(k)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{a\sqrt{\pi}}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{ik_ox}e^{-\frac{x^2}{2a^2}}e^{-ikx}dx$$
$$=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi{a}\sqrt{\pi}}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}exp[-\frac{x^2}{2a^2}+i(k_o-k)x]dx$$
I don't really want to write out the whole process, but I multiplied this expression by
$$\frac{e^{A^2(k_o-k)^2}}{e^{A^2(k_o-k)^2}}$$
and then I found \(A\) in order to complete the square in the exponent inside the integrand,
$$A=-\frac{i\sqrt{2}a}{2}$$
So I now have the integral
$$g(k)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi{a}\sqrt{\pi}}}e^{-\frac{a^2}{2}(k_o-k)^2}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}exp[-(\frac{x}{\sqrt{2}a}-\frac{i\sqrt{2}a}{2}(k_o-k))^2]dx$$
But this is where I get stuck. I don't really understand how to integrate this expression. I learned from my lecture that this whole completing the square process is how we simplify the integrand, but I am iffy on the process after this point. Any hints in the right direction would be nice. (Also there is definitely a chance that this integrand isn't quite correct. There is a lot of room for error to arrive at this point, though I did check my work multiple times)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Fourier transform of a gaussian

Also, it may help to know that I am supposed to verify that the result is
$$g(k)=\sqrt{\frac{a}{\sqrt{\pi}}}e^{-\frac{(k_o-k)^2a^2}{2}}$$

skatenerd said:
I'm given a Gaussian function to apply a Fourier transform to.
$$f(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{a\sqrt{\pi}}}e^{ik_ox}e^{-\frac{x^2}{2a^2}}$$
Not the most appetizing integral...
$$g(k)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{a\sqrt{\pi}}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{ik_ox}e^{-\frac{x^2}{2a^2}}e^{-ikx}dx$$
$$=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi{a}\sqrt{\pi}}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}exp[-\frac{x^2}{2a^2}+i(k_o-k)x]dx$$
I don't really want to write out the whole process, but I multiplied this expression by
$$\frac{e^{A^2(k_o-k)^2}}{e^{A^2(k_o-k)^2}}$$
and then I found \(A\) in order to complete the square in the exponent inside the integrand,
$$A=-\frac{i\sqrt{2}a}{2}$$
$$g(k)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi{a}\sqrt{\pi}}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}exp[-(\frac{x}{\sqrt{2}a}-\frac{i\sqrt{2}a}{2}(k_o-k))^2]dx$$
But this is where I get stuck. I don't really understand how to integrate this expression. I learned from my lecture that this whole completing the square process is how we simplify the integrand, but I am iffy on the process after this point. Any hints in the right direction would be nice. (Also there is definitely a chance that this integrand isn't quite correct. There is a lot of room for error to arrive at this point, though I did check my work multiple times)

I would probably set it up this way.

You're given that $f(x) = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{a\sqrt{\pi}}} \exp(ik_ox) \exp\left(-\dfrac{x^2}{2a^2}\right) = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{a\sqrt{\pi}}} \exp\left(-\dfrac{x^2}{2a^2} + ik_o x\right)$.

The integral formula you use to compute $g(k)$ is the one that restores the symmetry of the Fourier transform and it's inverse. So, using that formula, we have that

\[\begin{aligned}g(k) &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) \exp(-ikx)\,dx \\ &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi a\sqrt{\pi}}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp\left(-\dfrac{x^2}{2a^2} -i(k-k_o)x\right)\,dx \\ &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi a\sqrt{\pi}}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\exp\left(-\frac{x^2}{2a^2}\right) \exp\left(-i(k-k_o)x\right) \\ &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi a\sqrt{\pi}}}\left[ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\exp\left(-\frac{x^2}{2a^2}\right) \cos\left((k-k_o)x\right)\,dx - \underbrace{i\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp\left(-\frac{x^2}{2a^2}\right) \sin\left( (k-k_o)x\right)\,dx}_{ =0\text{ since integrand is odd.}}\right] \\ &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi a\sqrt{\pi}}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp\left(-\frac{x^2}{2a^2}\right) \cos\left((k-k_o)x\right)\,dx \end{aligned}\]

Now, I'm going to cheat a little bit (because I don't want to evaluate that integral; if someone wants to fill in the details of that integration, I'd be intrigued to see how it would be done). Anyways, due to Abramowitz and Stegun, we know that

\[\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-bx^2}\cos(2\pi y x)\,dx = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{b}} \exp\left(-\frac{\pi^2 y^2}{b}\right).\]

To apply this formula, take $b=\dfrac{1}{2a^2}$ and $y=\dfrac{k-k_o}{2\pi}$.

Thus,

\[\begin{aligned}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi a\sqrt{\pi}}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp\left(-\frac{x^2}{2a^2}\right) \cos\left((k-k_o)x\right)\,dx &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi a\sqrt{\pi}}} \cdot \sqrt{2\pi a^2}\exp\left(-\frac{2a^2\pi^2 (k-k_o)^2}{4\pi^2}\right) \\ &= \sqrt{\frac{a}{\sqrt{\pi}}} \exp\left(-\frac{a^2(k-k_o)^2}{2}\right)\end{aligned}\]

and therefore

\[g(k) = \sqrt{\frac{a}{\sqrt{\pi}}} \exp\left(-\frac{a^2(k-k_o)^2}{2}\right).\]

(Whew)

I'm actually kind of glad to see that this matches up with the answer you're supposed to get. (Nod)

I hope this makes sense!

skatenerd said:
$$g(k)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi{a}\sqrt{\pi}}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}exp[-(\frac{x}{\sqrt{2}a}-\frac{i\sqrt{2}a}{2}(k_o-k))^2]dx$$

I think you're supposed to use that:
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-u^2} du = \sqrt{\pi}$$

To get to the point that you can, use the substitution:
$$u = \frac{x}{\sqrt{2}a}-\frac{i\sqrt{2}a}{2}(k_o-k)$$

@Chris L T521:
That's an interesting and impressive solution you got there...I appreciate you going through all that. However I think since I already went through all the trouble of the method with completing the square inside the exponent and finding the constant I needed and all that I will go with I Like Serena's method.
Pretty much that substitution was all I needed to get to the answer. It was smooth sailing from that point. Thanks for all the help you guys! Such a cool problem in the end.

Related to Fourier transform of a gaussian

1. What is a Fourier transform of a Gaussian?

The Fourier transform of a Gaussian is a mathematical operation that decomposes a Gaussian function into a combination of sinusoidal functions. It provides a way to analyze the frequency components of a Gaussian signal.

2. What is the purpose of a Fourier transform of a Gaussian?

The purpose of a Fourier transform of a Gaussian is to convert a signal from the time domain into the frequency domain. This allows for the analysis of the frequency components present in the signal, which can be useful in various scientific and engineering applications.

3. How is the Fourier transform of a Gaussian calculated?

The Fourier transform of a Gaussian is calculated using a mathematical equation, which involves integrating the Gaussian function with respect to frequency. This can be done manually using mathematical tools, or with the help of software programs specifically designed for Fourier analysis.

4. What are the main properties of the Fourier transform of a Gaussian?

The main properties of the Fourier transform of a Gaussian include linearity, shift invariance, and scaling. Linearity means that the transform of a sum of functions is equal to the sum of the individual transforms. Shift invariance means that shifting the signal in the time domain results in an equivalent shift in the frequency domain. Scaling refers to the change in the amplitude of the transformed signal when the original signal is scaled by a constant.

5. What are some applications of the Fourier transform of a Gaussian?

The Fourier transform of a Gaussian has various applications in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and data analysis. It is commonly used for filtering, noise reduction, and feature extraction. It is also used in the analysis of physical systems, such as in quantum mechanics and electromagnetism.