Sail Boat Race Trigonometry, just stuck on first part

In summary, the conversation discusses a sailboat race course with four legs defined by displacement vectors A, B, C, and D. The values of the angles and magnitudes of the first three vectors are given, and the coordinate system for the problem is explained. The speaker then breaks down each vector into its components and attempts to calculate the distance of vector D, but runs into a problem with the calculations. The expert summarizes the solution by pointing out that vector B's x component is negative and both the x and y components of vector C will be negative, resulting in the negative of vector D when all components are added together.
Juntao
I've added a picture that's part of the problem.

A sailboat race course consists of four legs defined by the displacement vectors A, B, C and D shown above.
The values of the angles are È1 = 420, È2 = 410, and È3 = 270.

The magnitudes of the first three vectors are A = 3.7 km, B = 5.3 km and C = 4.8 km. The finish line of the course coincides with the starting line.

The coordinate system for this problem has positive x to the right, positive y as up and counter-clockwise to be a positive angle.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Now first thing I should do is break up each vector into its components, and then add up all the x and y components to get vector D.

This is what I've tried.

Vector a
x-component = 3.7*cos 42=2.75km
y-component = 3.7*cos42= 2.48km

vector b
x component = 5.3*cos 41=4.00km
y component = 5.3*sin41= 3.48km

vector c
x component = 4.8*cos 27=4.27km
y component= 4.8*sin27= 2.18km
-------------------------------------------------------------------
vctor d
x component = 11.02km
y component = 8.14km

So for vector d, just add up the first 3 components in their respective columns. However, when I calculate D's distance => sqrt(11.02^2+8.14^2), I get the incorrect answer of 13.70km.
So of course, if this answer is wrong, then most likely I figured out one of the components wrong, but I don't know which ones. Please help.

Attachments

• vectors.gif
    vectors.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,041
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you notice that vector B is going back to the LEFT? Its x component is negative. Both the x component and y component of C will be negative. Also notice that once you have added the components of A, B, and C, the result will be the NEGATIVE of D.

Last edited by a moderator:

It looks like you have correctly calculated the x and y components for vectors A, B, and C. However, when adding them together to find the x and y components for vector D, it seems that you have added the y components instead of subtracting them.

The correct way to find the x and y components for vector D would be:

x component = 2.75 km + 4.00 km - 4.27 km = 2.48 km
y component = 2.48 km + 3.48 km - 2.18 km = 3.78 km

Then, using the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of vector D, we get:

D = sqrt(2.48^2 + 3.78^2) = 4.53 km

So the correct answer for the distance of vector D would be 4.53 km, not 13.70 km.

I hope this helps clarify the mistake and helps you solve the rest of the problem. Remember to always double check your calculations and make sure you are adding and subtracting the correct components. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of trigonometry in a sail boat race?

Trigonometry is used to calculate the angles and distances between points on a sail boat race course. This information is crucial for determining the most efficient route and making strategic decisions during the race.

2. How is trigonometry used to determine wind direction and speed in a sail boat race?

Trigonometry is used in conjunction with other factors such as boat speed and heading, to calculate the relative wind direction and speed. This information is important for adjusting sails and steering the boat in the optimal direction.

3. Can trigonometry be used to calculate the fastest route in a sail boat race?

Yes, trigonometry can be used to calculate the shortest distance between two points on a sail boat race course. By using trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine, the optimal angle and distance for the boat to travel can be determined.

4. How does trigonometry help sailors navigate through different wind conditions in a sail boat race?

Trigonometry allows sailors to calculate the effects of wind on their boat's speed and direction. By using trigonometric ratios, such as tangent and cosine, sailors can adjust their sails and heading to navigate through different wind conditions and maintain their desired course.

5. Are there any other applications of trigonometry in a sail boat race?

Yes, trigonometry can also be used to calculate the height of an object, such as a marker or buoy, from a distance. This information can be helpful for sailors to determine their position on the course and make strategic decisions.