Fourier Transform Homework: Determine F(k) & Plot Result

In summary: This will give you the same answer as the integral over the full interval.In summary, we need to use the properties of even and odd functions to simplify the integral for determining the Fourier Transform of the given function. This involves breaking down the function into even and odd parts and taking advantage of symmetrical intervals for integration.
rogeralms

Homework Statement

Determine the Fourier Transform of the function shown. Plot the result using excel, MathCad, or Matlab. See attachment for figure of triangle above x-axis from -X0/2 tp X0/2 with a max height of 1 at x=0.

Homework Equations

The answer is F(k) = X0/2 [sin(kX0/4) / (kX0/4) ]2 =X0 / 2 sinc2(kX0/4)

The Attempt at a Solution

f(x) = mx + k = Δy/x + 1 = 2/X0 X + 1, x≤0
=-2/X0 X + , x≥0

F(x)= ∫-X0/2 0 (2/X0 X + 1) eikx dx + ∫0X0/2(-2/X0*X+1)eikxdx

I am very confused by the change of variables taking place in the different problems.

The PDF is the assignment as it was given. We worked problem 2 in class. I am confused by problem 1. Could someone give me a few pointers as to how to proceed, where I might have gone wrong, etc. This is due on Wed. I have not been idle but still am not quite there for a solution. Additional work is included in the Word files.
Thank you.

Attachments

• HW_Ch7_help.docx
    280.7 KB · Views: 218
  • Fourier_Transform HW_Handout_Ch_7.pdf
    40.4 KB · Views: 226
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that f(x) is an even function of x. Also,

eikx = coskx + i sinkx

which is a sum of an even and an odd function.

So, f(x)eikx can be written as a sum of an even function and an odd function.

What happens when you integrate an odd function over an interval that is symmetrical about the origin?

Also, when you integrate the even part, you can just integrate from 0 to xo/2 and multiply the result by 2.

Likes 1 person

Related to Fourier Transform Homework: Determine F(k) & Plot Result

What is Fourier Transform Homework?

Fourier Transform Homework is an assignment that requires students to use mathematical techniques known as Fourier transforms to determine the frequency components of a given signal or function. This technique is commonly used in the fields of mathematics, physics, and engineering.

What is F(k) in Fourier Transform Homework?

F(k) in Fourier Transform Homework represents the Fourier transform of the original function or signal. It is a complex-valued function that provides information about the frequency components present in the original signal or function.

How do I determine F(k) in Fourier Transform Homework?

To determine F(k) in Fourier Transform Homework, you will need to use the Fourier transform formula, which involves integrating the original function or signal over all frequencies. This can be done using mathematical software programs or by hand using mathematical techniques such as integration by parts.

What is the significance of determining F(k) in Fourier Transform Homework?

Determining F(k) in Fourier Transform Homework allows us to analyze the frequency components of a signal or function, which can provide insights into its behavior and properties. This information is useful in many scientific and engineering applications, such as signal processing, image analysis, and data compression.

How do I plot the result of F(k) in Fourier Transform Homework?

To plot the result of F(k) in Fourier Transform Homework, you will need to use a graphing software or program. Simply input the values of F(k) for different frequencies and plot them on a graph to visualize the frequency components of the original signal or function.