Fourier Transform: Calculate $\hat{g}(\omega)$

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the Fourier transform of the function $g(x)=|x|$. The participant has made progress in the calculation but is unsure if it is correct. They also ask for help in calculating the limit of the function as $x$ approaches infinity. The conversation also briefly mentions that the function may not have a Fourier transform due to not satisfying an integrability condition.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I want to calculate the Fourier transform of $g(x)=|x|$.

I got so far that $\hat{g}(\omega)=2 \left[ \frac{x \sin{(x \omega)}}{\omega}\right]_{x=0}^{+\infty}-2 \int_0^{+\infty} \frac{\sin{(x \omega)}}{\omega} dx$

Is it right so far?

How can we calculate $\lim_{x \to +\infty} \frac{x \sin{(\omega x)}}{\omega}$ ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's your definition of the Fourier Transform (including constants)?

Ackbach said:
What's your definition of the Fourier Transform (including constants)?

$$\hat{g}(\omega)=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} g(x) e^{-i x \omega} dx$$

evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

I want to calculate the Fourier transform of $g(x)=|x|$.

I got so far that $\hat{g}(\omega)=2 \left[ \frac{x \sin{(x \omega)}}{\omega}\right]_{x=0}^{+\infty}-2 \int_0^{+\infty} \frac{\sin{(x \omega)}}{\omega} dx$

Is it right so far?

How can we calculate $\lim_{x \to +\infty} \frac{x \sin{(\omega x)}}{\omega}$ ?
For a function to have a Fourier transform, it has to satisfy some integrability condition. The function $|x|$ is not at all integrable, in fact it tends to infinity as $x\to\infty$. I don't think there is any sense in which this function can have a Fourier transform.

Opalg said:
For a function to have a Fourier transform, it has to satisfy some integrability condition. The function $|x|$ is not at all integrable, in fact it tends to infinity as $x\to\infty$. I don't think there is any sense in which this function can have a Fourier transform.

Neither using distribution theory?

Related to Fourier Transform: Calculate $\hat{g}(\omega)$

What is the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool that decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies. It allows us to represent a function in the frequency domain, where we can analyze its frequency components.

What is the formula for calculating the Fourier Transform?

The formula for calculating the Fourier Transform is:
$\hat{g}(\omega) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} g(t)e^{-i\omega t}dt$
where $g(t)$ is the input function, $\omega$ is the frequency variable, and $e^{-i\omega t}$ is the complex exponential term.

What is the purpose of calculating $\hat{g}(\omega)$?

The purpose of calculating $\hat{g}(\omega)$ is to analyze the frequency components of a function. It allows us to identify the dominant frequencies, their amplitudes, and their phases. This information can be useful in many applications, such as signal processing, image processing, and data compression.

What is the relationship between $g(t)$ and $\hat{g}(\omega)$?

The relationship between $g(t)$ and $\hat{g}(\omega)$ is that they are two representations of the same function in different domains. $g(t)$ is the original function in the time domain, and $\hat{g}(\omega)$ is its representation in the frequency domain. The Fourier Transform provides a way to convert between these two representations.

Can the Fourier Transform be applied to any function?

Yes, the Fourier Transform can be applied to any function that satisfies certain mathematical conditions, such as being integrable and having a finite energy. However, for some functions, the Fourier Transform may not exist or may not be practical to calculate.