Fourier transform and steady state solution?

In summary, the conversation is about Fourier transform and its application in identifying the steady state solution of a signal. The participant mentions a link that may provide more understanding and then discusses two different signals and their Fourier transforms. The conversation also mentions the use of other transforms, such as wavelet transform, to analyze signals.
hanson
Hi all!
I am asking about a question about Fourier transform.
I can only roughly remember things about Fourier transform.
I am told that Fourier transform gives the steady state solution, is it?
I can hardly relate these two concepts.
Can someone try to explain?
Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
May be http://users.rowan.edu/~polikar/WAVELETS/WTpart1.html" might give a clue in understanding.

Let say that we have a signal
[tex]f(t) = cos(20\pi t) + cos(50\pi t) + cos(100\pi t) + cos(200\pi t) [/tex]
which is a stationary signal (steady state I presume). The Fourier transform of this signal will identify that this signal has frequencies of 10, 25, 50, and 100 Hz at any given time instant.
Next consider another signal of period 1s,

[tex]g(t)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}cos(200\pi t),&\mbox{ if }
0\leq t < 0.3 \\
cos(100\pi t), & \mbox{ if } 0.3 \leq t < 0.6 \\
cos(50\pi t), & \mbox{ if } 0.6 \leq t < 0.8 \\
cos(20\pi t), & \mbox{ if } 0.8 \leq t < 1
\end{array}\right [/tex]

Signal g(t) is a transient signal. But the Fourier transforms of g(t) and f(t) are almost identical. So given some coeffients, the Fourier transform will identify the signal as f(t) the stationary signal.
To analyse the second signal we use other transform e.g. wavelet transform.

What am I writing here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Fourier transform and steady state solution?

1. What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical technique used to decompose a signal or function into its constituent frequencies. It converts a function of time to a function of frequency, showing the frequency components that make up the original signal.

2. What is the significance of the Fourier transform in science?

The Fourier transform has many applications in science, including signal processing, image processing, and solving differential equations. It allows us to analyze and understand the frequency components of complex signals, making it a useful tool in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

3. How is the Fourier transform related to steady state solutions?

In physics and engineering, a steady state solution refers to a state where a system's behavior does not change over time. The Fourier transform can be used to find the steady state solution of a system by analyzing its frequency components and determining the system's response to each frequency.

4. Can the Fourier transform be used for non-periodic signals?

Yes, the Fourier transform can be applied to both periodic and non-periodic signals. However, the resulting transform for non-periodic signals will be a continuous function rather than a discrete set of values as in the case of periodic signals.

5. What is the difference between the Fourier transform and the Laplace transform?

Both the Fourier transform and the Laplace transform are used in signal and system analysis. However, the Fourier transform is mainly used for periodic signals, while the Laplace transform is used for non-periodic signals and provides additional information about the system's stability and transient response.