Fourier Series in cylindrical coordinate

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Fourier series for a 2-dimensional problem in cylindrical coordinates. The poster has tried writing an expression for the current, but is unsure of the main formula to derive the above equation. One of the most general forms for the Fourier-Bessel series is given, and another solution is found by letting q go to iq in the expression. These are the two primary solutions for Laplace's equation in circular-cylinder coordinates. The expression may become simpler due to the symmetry of the problem in phi or z.
baby_1

Homework Statement

Here is my question
1380578000_1464176740.png

Homework Equations

I don't know with what formula does the book find Fourier series?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried writing an expression for the current?

Hello deskswirl
Yes , But I know the Fourier series for 2-dimensional in cartesian coordinate not cylindrical Fourier series.I can do and follow the math procedures.I want to know the main formula that I can derive above equation.

One of the most general forms for the Fourier-Bessel series is given by:
$$\sum\limits_{q}{\sum\limits_{p}{\left\{ \begin{matrix} {{J}_{p}}\left( qr \right) \\ {{Y}_{p}}\left( qr \right)\\\end{matrix} \right\}\left\{ \begin{matrix}
\sin \left( p\phi \right) \\ \cos (p\phi ) \\\end{matrix} \right\}\left\{ \begin{matrix} {{e}^{qz}} \\ {{e}^{-qz}} \\\end{matrix} \right\}}}$$
Another is found by letting $$q\to iq$$ in the above expression. These are the two primary solutions of Laplace's equation in circular-cylinder coordinates. Typically due to the symmetry of the problem in phi or z the expression becomes simpler.

Likes baby_1

Related to Fourier Series in cylindrical coordinate

What is a Fourier Series in cylindrical coordinate?

A Fourier series in cylindrical coordinate is a mathematical method used to represent a periodic function in terms of a sum of sine and cosine functions with different frequencies and amplitudes. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to describe phenomena that vary periodically in space or time.

What are the advantages of using Fourier Series in cylindrical coordinate?

One advantage of using Fourier series in cylindrical coordinate is that it allows for the representation of complex functions using a simple and compact form. It also facilitates the analysis and understanding of periodic phenomena, as well as the prediction of future behavior based on past data.

How is a Fourier Series in cylindrical coordinate calculated?

To calculate a Fourier series in cylindrical coordinate, the function must first be expressed in polar coordinates. Then, the coefficients of the sine and cosine terms are determined by integrating the function over one period. The resulting series can then be used to approximate the original function.

What are some applications of Fourier Series in cylindrical coordinate?

Fourier series in cylindrical coordinate have many practical applications, including the analysis of heat transfer and fluid dynamics, the study of electromagnetic fields, and the description of oscillatory phenomena in mechanical systems. They are also used in image and signal processing, as well as in the field of acoustics.

What are the limitations of Fourier Series in cylindrical coordinate?

One limitation of Fourier series in cylindrical coordinate is that it can only be applied to functions that are periodic in nature. In addition, it may not converge for functions with discontinuities or sharp corners. Another limitation is that the series may require a large number of terms to accurately represent some functions, making it computationally expensive.