Fourier Analysis: Calculating 2nd Harmonic

In summary, the speaker is struggling with a Fourier analysis as part of their coursework. They have been given waves with multiple functions and need to work out the harmonics. They have successfully calculated A0 using MATLAB and manually. However, they need to manually calculate the 2nd harmonic to check their MATLAB answer. They are unsure of the next steps and are seeking help.
gaz1984
All, I'm having some problems with a Fourier analysis I am doing as a coursework, we have been given waves with multiple functions to try and work out the harmonics of them.
My three functions are:
f1 = -5sin (2*pi*t) - sin wave part
f2 = 21.74t-32.61 - straight line part
f3 = 0 - horizontal straight line part

I have worked out A0 using MATLAB and then manually to check the answer.

My problem is that I need to pick a certain harmonic to work out manually to check the MATLAB answer with, i picked the 2nd harmonic.

To work out A2 i get the equations:

1/pi (-5sin(2*pi*t)cos(4*pi*t)) when 0.73 < t < 1.27
1/pi (21.74t*cos(4*pi*t)-32.61cos(4*pi*t)) when 1.27 < t < 1.5

Can anyone help with what I am supposed to do next?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Is your total wave f1*f2*f3? If so, do f2 and f3 repeat every period (= 1.0s)?

Related to Fourier Analysis: Calculating 2nd Harmonic

1. What is Fourier analysis?

Fourier analysis is a mathematical technique used to decompose a complex signal into its individual frequency components. It is commonly used in signal processing and data analysis.

2. How is Fourier analysis used to calculate the 2nd harmonic?

In Fourier analysis, the 2nd harmonic refers to the frequency component that is twice the frequency of the original signal. To calculate the 2nd harmonic, we use a mathematical formula called the Fourier transform, which converts a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain.

3. What is the significance of the 2nd harmonic in Fourier analysis?

The 2nd harmonic is important because it can reveal important information about the underlying signal. In many cases, it can indicate the presence of periodicity or repeating patterns in the signal.

4. How is the 2nd harmonic different from other harmonics?

The 2nd harmonic is unique because it is the first harmonic that is not a multiple of the fundamental frequency. It is also the highest frequency component in the signal that is an integer multiple of the fundamental frequency.

5. What are some real-world applications of Fourier analysis and the 2nd harmonic?

Fourier analysis and the 2nd harmonic are used in a wide range of fields, including audio signal processing, image processing, and data analysis. They are also commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze vibrations and wave phenomena.