Four Protons Are Fused Into An Alpha Particle, Energy Released

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of converting protons into alpha particles and the resulting energy released. The conversation also includes a calculation for a potential fusion power plant and the number of alpha particles that would need to be fused every second. A mistake is discovered in the calculation involving the conversion of energy to joules. The correct answer is found by removing the multiplication by c^2.
breakingaway
(answered)Four Protons Are Fused Into Alpha Particle, Energy Released

Answered: I wasn't supposed to multiply by c2. Thank you ehild

I apologize in advance if I posted this in an incorrect format or in the wrong section. I read the rules and I believe this is the correct format/place.

Homework Statement

The proton-proton reaction that takes place in the Sun has the net effect of converting four protons (Mp= 1.007825 u) into alpha particles (Ma= 4.002603 u). The resulting "released" energy is shared between the kinetic energy of the alpha particles, positrons, neutrinos and gamma ray photons. Assume we could eventually design a 1.00 GW (billion watt) fusion power plant using this same reaction. Also assume that 12.5% of the "released" energy (kinetic + photon) can be converted into electrical power.
How many alpha particles would need to be fused in the reactor every second?

Homework Equations

binding energy:
[STRIKE]Eb=c2 * (Mnucleons-Mparticle)*931.494MeV[/STRIKE]
Eb=(Mnucleons-Mparticle)*931.494MeV/u

The Attempt at a Solution

Eb = c2 * (4*Mp-Ma)=2.2058*1024eV =3.85408*105j

Eb*12.5% = 4.8115*104j

1*109W / Eb = 2.0783*104s-1

The correct answer is: 1.87*1021

Thank you in advance for any help anybody can provide.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In what units of mass have you calculated with? ehild

ehild said:
In what units of mass have you calculated with? ehild

For the problem the mass of a proton(1.007825u) and alpha particle(4.002603u) is given in atomic mass units(u=931.494MeV). I converted to joules before doing any calculations involving power.

Why did you multiplied energy by c^2?

ehild

ehild said:
Why did you multiplied energy by c^2?

ehild

Well, I think you just found my mistake.

Just crunched the number without the c^2 and it came out correct.

Thank you.

Yes, taking the proton mass in kg-s, m(proton)c2/(1.6 10-19(J/eV) )≈931 MeV.

ehild

Related to Four Protons Are Fused Into An Alpha Particle, Energy Released

1. What is fusion?

Fusion is a nuclear reaction that occurs when two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus. This process releases a large amount of energy.

2. How does fusion occur in the Sun?

In the Sun, fusion occurs when hydrogen atoms combine to form helium. This process is known as the proton-proton chain, where four protons fuse to form a helium nucleus and release energy in the form of gamma rays.

3. What is an alpha particle?

An alpha particle is a type of nuclear particle that contains two protons and two neutrons, making it identical to a helium nucleus.

4. How much energy is released in the fusion of four protons?

The fusion of four protons into an alpha particle releases approximately 26.7 MeV (million electron volts) of energy.

5. How is the energy from fusion harnessed for practical use?

The energy released from fusion can potentially be harnessed for practical use by creating a controlled fusion reaction. This involves heating and compressing a fuel (such as hydrogen) to extremely high temperatures and pressures, recreating the conditions of the Sun's core. If successful, this could provide a nearly limitless source of clean energy.