Experts in Science: Did You Publish?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary: I think.In summary, Loren provides a summary of the two papers, which discuss the history of cardiac pacemakers. The technology has since passed her by, but she has a share in a patent and has authored papers in the field of archaeology. She is also experienced in the field of molecular biology and biochemistry. Her most recent project is a paper on telemerase and the telemeres of chromosomes in tumor growth.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Wondering what field expert we have here.. any science.

Biology news on Phys.org
Two papers re: cardiac pacemakers in the late 1970's. Medical journals "Chest" and "Pace". Technology has since passed me by.

Regards

I have a share in a patent, years ago. A method of testing capacitors.

Originally posted by Monique
Wondering what field expert we have here.. any science.

Hello Owl... er... Monique!

Yes... papers papers papers. Since becoming a founding member of an Archaeological Society at the age of 12, I have come to know the process of publishing reports and papers of many kinds, since.

The papers I have authored in the field (no pun) of Archaeology have involved the physical anthropological surveys and excavations of several regions of Canada.

One favorite study and survey I initiated and supervised (that dragged me through the Devil's Club (an often 10ft high spiny plant with a stimulating poison for sap) of a coastal region for 3 months concerned some hypothetical ideas about the first habitation of that area just after the last "ice age" around 10,000 bp.

That paper is in a provincial Parliment building or in an Anthropology Museum. Or in a large round file since it is an old study.

Other supervisory reports and resulting papers include offical documentation that allows (or not) various companies like Natural Gas companies to construct pipelines through culturally sensitive areas.

This sort of work, today, is supervised and conducted by the particular Fisrt Nation that governs a particular region... which was a suggestion made in a paper from myself and associates to a provincial committee.

Yes... its almost Indiana Jones at your eyeball tips!

After whetting my appetite for helping to empower the First Nation Cultures of Canada... I went on to find a cure for "cancer"!

In that field, and during that attempt, I assisted in publishing over 200 papers that have delt with all manner of the sciences of that discipline...including cytology, epidemiology, radiology, endocrinology, chromology, medical physics (radiation technology), nursing, pastorial care, and another 118 subsidiary disciplines.

One favorite was the study initiated by the research doctor from the Netherlands I've mentioned, concerning the role of telemerase and the telemeres of the chromosomes involved in tumour growth.

These various papers ended up in: New England Journal of Medicine, Blood, Family Practice, Oncology, and some pretty prestigious publications who's names escape me now.

There are just some of my examples... but I am getting boring by now!

I may be hooting a horn here ... but it is just to let people know that if I can do it... anyone can!

Last edited:
Many papers and presentations on electro-optic phenomena and devices.

A couple papers on analysis of material properties and means of testing them.

Njorl

so far I've got a small abstract that was published for the Society for Neuroscience national meeting. I've got another one that's longer submited for Cognitive Science society(crosses fingers), hopefuly that will get in.

many papers on Molecular Biology and Biochemistry with a lot of suffering and several presentations to congress. Just 11 years of lab working!

I believe that peer review still allows for favoritism in any field, e. g., Alan Sokal's hoax. Is there a better method?

Cool, you guys are smart :P I'm writing up my first paper (actually a report) to be submitted to the American Journal of Human Genetics.. let's hope they'll accept it :) Besides that I have a paper in press in Stroke, third author though so not that big.

Loren, peer review doesn't always work, I agree. Especially a problem w/ grant writing.. I've heard a story where two grants went out to the same institution, same techniques, same scope and goal, slightly different diseases, one received a good review and went to the second round the other got bashed and kicked out..

I've also seen papers where the exact same study was reported, about a year inbetween, same authors.. difference: the first study didn't find any mutations, the second DID, same patients, same group. Nowhere in the paper did they explain the erroneous results of the first study: my guess: they contaminated their PCRs and were essentially looking at one individual only.

Originally posted by Monique
... peer review doesn't always work...

I remember the first paper I ever reviewed. I was so psyched that an editor thought that much of me that I was determined to do a good job. I ripped into that paper mercilessly. No paper I ever wrote could have stood up to that treatment. I requested so much elaboration and referencing that the thing would have turned into a PhD thesis if the author had made the changes. Fortunately, editors have the last say, not rookie reviewers. I saw the paper published a few months later. It did have one of the changes I recommended. That editor has still never sent me another paper to review.

Njorl

Originally posted by Loren Booda
I believe that peer review still allows for favoritism in any field, e. g., Alan Sokal's hoax. Is there a better method?

Really wanting to research in the field, instead of just working on it.

Published many papers in various journals. I'm a science teacher but I write more about teaching techniques than science content. Always dreamed of writing a book...maybe some day!

i don't like to toot my own horn but...
Mrs. Kelishes 8th grade Class Ross Island volcanoes

question

I don't understand Grimmus, did you write a publication about volcanoes in her class?

it isent a publication more of a B+ reasearch assingment

Congratulations!

Wow! So many members of the scientific community here. As for me - no, never published, too lazy to do research. I know a half-a-dozen or so published teenagers who went to my school - most of whom did research that would simply bore me to tears (stuff like figuring out the food web in a local lake centered, showing how ceriodaphnia play a more vital role in that ecocosystem...). Maybe I will find something in college that sparks my interests.

1. What is the importance of publishing for scientists?

Publishing is an essential aspect of being a scientist, as it allows for the dissemination of new findings and ideas to the scientific community. It also establishes credibility and recognition within the field.

2. How do scientists go about publishing their research?

Scientists typically submit their research to peer-reviewed journals, where it undergoes a rigorous evaluation process by other experts in the field. Once accepted, the research is published and made available to the public.

3. What are the benefits of publishing in high-impact journals?

High-impact journals are highly regarded in the scientific community and are known for publishing groundbreaking research. Publishing in these journals can lead to increased visibility and recognition for the scientist and their work.

4. Can scientists publish their research in multiple journals?

It is generally frowned upon for scientists to publish the same research in multiple journals, as it can be seen as self-plagiarism. However, if the research is significantly expanded or modified, it may be acceptable to publish it in a different journal.

5. How can scientists ensure the quality and accuracy of their published work?

Before submitting their research for publication, scientists should thoroughly review and validate their findings. They should also ensure that their research follows ethical guidelines and accurately represents the data. Peer review and collaboration with other experts can also help improve the quality and accuracy of published work.