Found a bug in unity2017.1

• Thread starter thomas9059
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bug
In summary, the sphere goes trough the plane because the engine calculates frames at a time and does not interpolate between them.
thomas9059
Hi,
Not sure if here is were i should report the bug. If you make a plane and a sphere with a rigidbody, at some specifics altitudes, the sphere goes trough the plane.
To reproduce it easily, i put the sphere 3.5 units higher than the plane and change the sphere scale to (0.2 , 0.2 , 0.2).
This also ocurs with other altitudes like 5.0, but no with 5.1 or 4.9.

Technology news on Phys.org
You should report the bug to Unity directly.

I'm sure they have forums where developer questions are answered quickly by their staff.

https://forum.unity3d.com/

thomas9059 said:
Hi,
Not sure if here is were i should report the bug. If you make a plane and a sphere with a rigidbody, at some specifics altitudes, the sphere goes trough the plane.
To reproduce it easily, i put the sphere 3.5 units higher than the plane and change the sphere scale to (0.2 , 0.2 , 0.2).
This also ocurs with other altitudes like 5.0, but no with 5.1 or 4.9.
This is not a bug, this is how the physics engine works.

The engine works by calculating a frame at a time, so if In frame 1 the transform was above the plane and the next it was below, that's what it calculates. It has no sense of what happened in the in between, it's completely discreet physics because that's easy to calculate. (It may have an adjustable iteration setting, so it's more than once a frame, but still discreet.). Interpolating would cost way too many CPU cycles.

For fast moving object, you rely on raytracing instead of the rigid body. Use Physics.Raytrace from one point to another. If that returns a collision with something, warp the transform.position to the collision point and let the physics engine handle the calculations from there.

This is how I do things like bullets which are scaled way smaller than 0.2 and moving much faster than your ball.

Spent many years testing software and as newjerseyrunner says this is not a bug. A bug is more usually the software not coping with the calculatoin and falling over

Related to Found a bug in unity2017.1

1. What should I do if I found a bug in Unity 2017.1?

If you have found a bug in Unity 2017.1, the first thing you should do is report it to Unity's bug reporting system. This will help the developers identify and fix the issue as soon as possible.

2. How do I report a bug in Unity 2017.1?

To report a bug in Unity 2017.1, you can go to the Unity Editor and click on "Help" in the top menu bar. Then, click on "Report a Bug" and follow the prompts to fill out a bug report form. You can also report bugs through the Unity website or by emailing Unity's support team.

3. Will the bug be fixed in the next version of Unity?

It is likely that the bug you have found will be fixed in the next version of Unity. However, this cannot be guaranteed. Unity's development team prioritizes bug fixes based on severity and impact, so some bugs may take longer to fix than others.

4. Can I fix the bug myself?

If you have experience with coding and Unity development, you may be able to fix the bug yourself by making changes to the source code. However, this is not recommended as it may cause other issues and can be time-consuming. It is best to report the bug and let the Unity team handle the fix.

5. How long does it take for a bug to be fixed in Unity 2017.1?

The time it takes for a bug to be fixed in Unity 2017.1 can vary depending on the complexity and severity of the issue. Some bugs may be fixed in a matter of weeks, while others may take several months. You can check Unity's release notes to see if the bug has been addressed in a new version of the software.