Foul Language and Censorship: Who decides what can be said online?

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary, the Court of Appeals ruled that the FCC's rules governing unplanned profane outbursts on live television were to arbitrary and unconstitutional, but terms of use policies for private content on private networks are still vague. There is no public interest in regulating speech in either direction, and private sites on the internet will choose their own censorship policies.
Offensive language gets a reprieve from Court of Appeals, but rules are still vague in virtual world Terms of Use policies.http://stats.wordpress.com/b.gif?host=virtualnavigator.wordpress.com&blog=11498882&post=153&subd=virtualnavigator&ref=&feed=1

More...

Science news on Phys.org
Unconstitutional?

I'm curious what the basis for regulation is in the first place, that would make the question relevant.

(I'm not being sarcastic -- I genuinely don't know and am curious)

The cited case and your question have no correlation. The 2nd circuit ruled only that the FCC rules governing unplanned profane outbursts on live television were to arbirtrary to be constitutional.

What does this have to do with "who decides what can be said online"? The FCC has no regulatory authority over the internet (it is a private network, unlike public broadcasts).

In the case of terms of use policies for private content on private networks, there is no public interest. The government cannot regulate speech in either direction (either filtering or protecting content).

I don't see this as a problem in any way. Private sites on internet will choose their own censorship policy. It's only natural.

Even here at physiscs forums you have a great deal of rules and censorship on certain type of posts. So it seems that the owner of the site gets to say "what gets to be said online" :P

DanP said:
I don't see this as a problem in any way. Private sites on internet will choose their own censorship policy. It's only natural.

Even here at physiscs forums you have a great deal of rules and censorship on certain type of posts. So it seems that the owner of the site gets to say "what gets to be said online" :P

That would be interesting if courts started accepting lawsuits against online forums for censorship and discrimination. I wonder how that would alter internet discussion forums. I wonder if lawsuits would emerge just for the sake of targeting lucrative hosts. I wonder if the government could simply use anti-trust to split up web forum "monopolies" by requiring content to be reproduced among several sites - e.g. if physicsforum.com would violate anti-censorship policies, the govt. could just require physicsforum.com to turn over its content to another host, essentially replicating the site and its content history to someone else who would agree to conform to govt. policies. This is a strange and complex concept.

Related to Foul Language and Censorship: Who decides what can be said online?

1. What is considered foul language?

Foul language refers to the use of profanity, vulgar or offensive words or expressions that may be considered socially unacceptable or inappropriate.

2. Who decides what can be said online?

The decision of what can be said online is ultimately up to the platform or website hosting the content. However, there may also be laws or regulations in place that restrict certain types of language or content.

3. Can foul language be censored?

Yes, foul language can be censored by using filters or moderation tools on online platforms. However, there is often debate over what language should be censored and who gets to make that decision.

4. How does censorship of foul language impact freedom of speech?

Censorship of foul language can be seen as a limitation on freedom of speech, as it restricts the ability of individuals to express themselves in certain ways. However, it is also argued that censorship can help maintain a respectful and inclusive online environment.

5. Is there a difference between censorship and personal choice when it comes to foul language?

Yes, there is a difference between censorship and personal choice. Censorship is imposed by external forces, such as a governing body or online platform, while personal choice refers to an individual's decision to refrain from using foul language based on their own moral or ethical beliefs.