Applications of Derivatives

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a coffee filter in the shape of an inverted cone. The volume of the cone is known, as well as the rate at which water drains from it. The problem asks for the ratio of the cone's height to its radius. The problem is solved by setting up equations using variables for volume, height, radius, and the given rates. The final solution is a ratio of 8 times the square root of 4 times pi divided by 5.
Cyto
A coffee filter has the shape of an inverted cone. Water drains out of the filter at a rate 10cm^3/min. When the depth of water in the cone is 8cm, the depth is decreasing at 2cm/min. What is the ratio of the height of the cone to its radius...

I'm stuck with this one.. can anyone help?

BTW.. the answer is 8(squareroot5pi) over 5

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]

\frac{dV}{dt} = \frac{10cm^3}{1min} = S(h)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dV(8cm)}{dt} = \frac{2cm^3}{1min} = S(8cm)[/tex]

[tex]S = \pi * r(r + \sqrt{r + h})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2cm^3}{1min} = \pi * r(r + \sqrt{r + 8}) = S(8cm)

[/tex]

Solve the last equation for r. h is given, 8 cm.

Let give names to things so we can talk about them precisely.

[tex]\mbox{V(t)}[/tex] = the volume at time t.
[tex]\mbox{h(t)}[/tex] = the height of the water at time t.
[tex]\mbox{r(t)}[/tex] = the radius of the (surface of the) water at time t.
[tex]\mbox{p}[/tex] = the height divided by the radius.

Let's look over what you are told:

A coffee filter has the shape of an inverted cone.

So what do we know about cones? Well, we know that when the water fills the cone, it will take the shape of the cone, and we know the volume of this cone:

[tex]
V(t) = \frac{1}{3} \pi r(t)^2 h(t)
[/tex]

We also know that the cone of water will have the same ratio of height to radius as the big cone. Thus

[tex]
p = \frac{h(t)}{r(t)}
[/tex]

Water drains out of the filter at a rate 10cm^3/min.

So we have:
[tex]
V'(t) = 10 \frac{\mathrm{cm}^3}{\mathrm{min}}
[/tex]

When the depth of water in the cone is 8cm, the depth is decreasing at 2cm/min.

Which is translated as:

[tex]
h(t) = 8 \mathrm{cm} \rightarrow h'(t) = 2 \frac{\mathrm{cm}}{\mathrm{min}}
[/tex]

Do you understand how I translated the problem into equations? See if you can now solve for p; if you get stuck, show us everything you tried then we'll give you more pointers.

Last edited:
Hurkl, I think he is deeply confused. You should give him a equation to solve R.

Hurkl, I think he is deeply confused. You should give him a equation to solve R.

If I do that, he'll still be confused.

Part of the confusion (my confusion, anyway!) is the original problem:
A coffee filter has the shape of an inverted cone. Water drains out of the filter at a rate 10cm^3/min. When the depth of water in the cone is 8cm, the depth is decreasing at 2cm/min. What is the ratio of the height of the cone to its radius...

The question is "What is the ratio of the height of the cone to its radius?" which is the opposite of the usual "related rates" problem where we are given the shape and asked for the rate of change of height.

Since, as Hurkyl said, V= (1/3)πr2h. The question asked for the ratio of "height of the cone to its radius" so let x be that ratio: x= h/r so h= xr (x is a constant) and dh/dt= x dr/dt,
dr/dt= (1/x)dh/dt.

Now, dV/dt= (π/3) (2rh dr/dt+ r2dh/dt)
= (π/3) (2rh/x+ r2)dh/dt.

We are given that, when h= 8, dV/dt= -10 and dh/dt= -2. Of course, since 8= xr, r= 8/x.

Putting all that into the above equation,
dV/dt = (π/3) (2rh/x+ r2)dh/dt,
-10= (π/3)(128/x2+ 64/x2)-2 so
(π/3) 192/x2= π (64/x2= 5

x2= (64/5)π Taking square roots,

x= (8/√(5))√(pi) which we can write (rationalize the denominator) as x= (8/5)√(4π)

Hurkyl said:
Let give names to things so we can talk about them precisely.

[tex]\mbox{V(t)}[/tex] = the volume at time t.
[tex]\mbox{h(t)}[/tex] = the height of the water at time t.
[tex]\mbox{r(t)}[/tex] = the radius of the (surface of the) water at time t.
[tex]\mbox{p}[/tex] = the height divided by the radius.

Let's look over what you are told:

So what do we know about cones? Well, we know that when the water fills the cone, it will take the shape of the cone, and we know the volume of this cone:

[tex]
V(t) = \frac{1}{3} \pi r(t)^2 h(t)
[/tex]

We also know that the cone of water will have the same ratio of height to radius as the big cone. Thus

[tex]
p = \frac{h(t)}{r(t)}
[/tex]

So we have:
[tex]
V'(t) = 10 \frac{\mathrm{cm}^3}{\mathrm{min}}
[/tex]

Which is translated as:

[tex]
h(t) = 8 \mathrm{cm} \rightarrow h'(t) = 2 \frac{\mathrm{cm}}{\mathrm{min}}
[/tex]

Do you understand how I translated the problem into equations? See if you can now solve for p; if you get stuck, show us everything you tried then we'll give you more pointers.

ok i understand how you set it up. But how do you actually solve it? i don't get it. it's not clear in your response. can u please help me?

1. What are some real-world applications of derivatives?

Derivatives have a wide range of real-world applications, including optimization problems in economics and engineering, predicting the behavior of financial markets, and finding rates of change in physics and chemistry.

2. How are derivatives used in business and finance?

In business and finance, derivatives are commonly used to manage risk, such as in hedging strategies to protect against changes in interest rates or commodity prices. They are also used to speculate on market movements and generate profits.

3. What is the difference between a derivative and an integral?

While both derivatives and integrals involve the concept of rates of change, derivatives measure instantaneous change at a specific point while integrals measure the accumulated change over a given interval. In other words, derivatives measure the slope of a curve while integrals measure the area under a curve.

4. How do derivatives relate to the concept of optimization?

Derivatives are essential in optimization problems because they allow us to find the maximum or minimum values of a function. By taking the derivative of a function and setting it equal to zero, we can solve for critical points which correspond to the optimal solution.

5. Can derivatives be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, derivatives are used extensively in solving real-world problems in a variety of fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and finance. They provide a powerful tool for analyzing and understanding how quantities change over time or in response to different variables.