G0 Phase in Mitosis: Causes & Effects

• Thread starter zk4586
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phase
In summary: Some examples could include nerve cells and muscle cells. In summary, the G0 phase of the cell cycle serves as a resting period for non-proliferating cells such as CNS cells and muscle cells. In vitro studies have shown that stimulation of these cells to reenter the cell cycle can result in apoptosis rather than proliferation. This phase also allows for differentiation and prevents excessive cell division, maintaining a certain level of physical and mental shape. G0 is different from G1, which is a resting phase before DNA replication, and some cells can remain in G0 permanently while others can resume G1 phase in response to injury. Examples of cells that enter G0 phase include nerve cells and muscle cells.
zk4586
Can someone tell me some of the hypothesized causes of why a cell will enter into the resting G0 phase (that's, G-zero phase) during mitosis? My AP bio. textbook doesn't say why the cell will sometimes pause before DNA replication.

Biology news on Phys.org
Cell going into G-0 phase are non-proliferating cell such as CNS cell, muscle cells. In vitro you can force cell out of the G-0 or other type of cell to go in the G-0.

from http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=153779
In vitro studies have examined the link between aberrant cell cycle reentry and neuronal cell death. These results demonstrate that although at least some postmitotic neurons retain the capacity to respond to growth factors by reentering into the cell cycle, such stimulation causes apoptosis rather than proliferation.

The role of the G-0 phase is to stop proliferation because can you imagine if the CNS you always regenarated its cell pool. We probably have memory problem and other problem due to losing connection.
For muscle we would lose our strengh.

Non-proliferating cells are there to make we keep a certain level of physical and mental shape.

Doesn't G0 also allow for differentiation? A cell continuously going through mitosis wouldn't have time for that.

And zk4586, are you sure you are not talking about G1? Since you seem to be talking about a pause before DNA replication? G1 is there to assess environmental conditions, once a cell goes through the restriction point (or start in yeasts) there is no way back so it needs to be sure that it really needs to replicate its DNA.

From my biology textbook:

Most of the variation in the length of the cell cycle from one organism or tissue to the next occurs in the G-1 phase. Cells often pause in G-1 before replication and enter a resting state called G-0 phase; they may remain in this phase for days to years before resuming cell division. At any given time, most of the cell's in an animals body are in G-0 phase. Some such as muscle cells and nerve cells remain there permanently; others, such as liver cells, can resume G-1 phase in response to factors released during injury.

Cells often pause in G-1 before replication and enter a resting state called G-0 phase

That sentence is very misleading. G1 is a resting phase before replication, it is part of the cycle of mitosis. G0 is a specialized state, not part of mitosis, for when cell doesn't need to replicate.

Textbooks...[sighs and throws hands up in the air]. I asked my teacher and he said the same thing. Thanks for clearing that up.

Glad to could have been of help :)

From Molecular Biology of the Cell, Alberts 2003:
-----------------------------------
For an animal cell to proliferate, nutrients are not enough. It must also receive stimulatory extracellular signals, in the form of mitogens...Mitogens act to overcome intracellular braking mechanisms that block progress through the cell cycle.

In the absence of a mitogenic signal to proliferate, Cdk inhibition in G1 is maintained, and the cell cycle arrests. In some cases, cells partly disassemble their cell-cycle control systems and exit from the cycle to a specialized, non-dividing state called G0.

Most cells in our body are G0...neuron and muscle...terminally differentiated...liver cells...stimulated to divide if the liver is damaged...
-------------------------------------------
etc etc.

If you want to know more about any parts of the cell cycle, please ask, I need to know all of this stuff myself. Final exams are coming, and I plan on answering a question on this very topic

Nice, I am going through the same book :)

Does anyone have examples of a few different cells that go into G0 Phase? It doesn't say in my textbook and my class is suppose to find these examples for extra credit.

mheuer3 said:
Does anyone have examples of a few different cells that go into G0 Phase? It doesn't say in my textbook and my class is suppose to find these examples for extra credit.

Nice...a 6 year old necro-post! :wink:

(Without directly answering)...try to think of some types of cells that do not typically go through cell division.

What is G0 phase in mitosis?

G0 phase, also known as the resting phase, is a stage in the cell cycle where the cell does not actively undergo cell division. This phase is characterized by the cell exiting the cell cycle and halting its progression towards mitosis.

What causes a cell to enter G0 phase?

Cells enter G0 phase due to various reasons such as lack of growth factors, DNA damage, and nutrient deprivation. These factors signal the cell to temporarily stop dividing and enter a resting state.

How does G0 phase affect cell division?

G0 phase plays a crucial role in regulating cell division. By pausing the cell cycle, it allows the cell to repair any DNA damage and replenish its resources before proceeding to the next phase of mitosis. This helps maintain the integrity and proper functioning of the cell.

What are the effects of prolonged G0 phase?

If a cell remains in G0 phase for an extended period, it can lead to cellular senescence, which is the permanent cessation of cell division. This can also result in the accumulation of damaged cells in the body, leading to various diseases and disorders.

Can cells exit G0 phase and re-enter the cell cycle?

Yes, cells can exit G0 phase and re-enter the cell cycle when the conditions are favorable. This can occur when the cell receives the necessary growth factors or nutrients, or when DNA damage is repaired. Cells can also be stimulated to re-enter the cell cycle during tissue regeneration or wound healing.