Forum rules: Are we allowed to freely ask questions?

• Thread starter Tanelorn
  • Start date
In summary, some advisors are very harsh when asking questions which might seem silly to them. They believe that this is tantamount to asking why a personal theory is incorrect. They also feel that it's best to step back and not ask questions until one has a better understanding of the content.
Tanelorn
Are we allowed to freely ask any relevant questions here without having to occasionally receive abrasive replies?
I have sometimes asked questions which some might have considered silly and one or two advisors did not hold back any punches.
Is it because they think that this is tantamount to asking why a personal theory is incorrect?
When does a misconception due to a lack of knowledge and understanding become a personal theory? Why can't we ask such questions to reach a better understanding?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just did, thanks Greg.
I probably would not report someone, just step back for a while.
I have many questions, will just have to keep them to myself for now.

Tanelorn said:
I just did, thanks Greg.
We encourage reporting, it may not just be you feeling this way.

Likes Ryan_m_b and Tanelorn
Tanelorn said:
When does a misconception due to a lack of knowledge and understanding become a personal theory? Why can't we ask such questions to reach a better understanding?

Asking about what is already known/understood in order to reach a better understanding is always OK; generally a misconception only becomes a personal theory when the misunderstander starts building on top of it or refuses to let go of it after repeated explanations.

However, there's a wide grey area here, and it's easy to imagine hypothetical posts that would be allowed (with careful monitoring) by some mentors but not others. When you believe that mentor is being unreasonably harsh, you should report it - that puts it in front of all us for reconsideration.

Likes Tanelorn
Tanelorn said:

Unpleasant situations that go unreported go uncorrected, and that's good for neither you nor the community.

Please, please, please, don't hesitate to click that report button - we need you to do that if we're to do our jobs.

Likes gracy and Tanelorn
Thanks Nugatory,
I am getting old and although I studied Physics at one time, my memories have faded, but I have always been very interested in Astronomy and Cosmology. My problem is I am also very weak with advanced math, so I have to stick with concepts and meanings.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Related to Forum rules: Are we allowed to freely ask questions?

1. What is the purpose of forum rules?

The purpose of forum rules is to establish a set of guidelines and standards for the behavior and interactions of users within the forum. These rules help to create a safe and respectful environment for all participants.

2. Are we allowed to ask any type of question on the forum?

Generally, forums have specific topics or themes and it is important to follow those guidelines when asking questions. Make sure your question is relevant to the forum's purpose and follow any additional rules set by the moderators.

3. Can we freely express our opinions in our questions?

Yes, it is allowed to express your opinions in your questions as long as they are respectful and follow the forum's guidelines. However, it is important to avoid using offensive or inappropriate language.

4. What happens if we violate the forum rules?

If you violate the forum rules, you may receive a warning from the moderators or your account may be temporarily or permanently banned. It is important to read and follow the rules to avoid any consequences.

5. Can we report other users who are not following the forum rules?

Yes, most forums have a reporting system in place for users to report any violations of the rules. If you notice another user not following the rules, you can report them to the moderators for further action.