Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Forum is dead

• Banned

Poirot

Banned
Feb 15, 2012
I posted 2 question early yesteday and as of yet there are no replies to either. I realize there are not a gang of helpers waiting for a ring of a bell to help me but just as a comparison with the old site, where your question was likely to be answered within half an hour, it is not great.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi Poirot,

1) You posted on Saturday, when people might be out doing things with friends and family. I think on weekends it's normal to wait another day.

2) Your questions are at a high level, so there are less people available to answer them. I would actually argue though that MHB has more staff members and regulars who are proficient at post-calculus math than other sites. The general level of question here is much higher than on other sites.

3) If you don't get a reply within 12 hours or a day, then I recommend you make another post where you try something else or make another comment about your thoughts. This is a way to properly "bump" a thread without just writing "bump".

4) On some other sites this feedback thread you made would not be read by the owners at all most likely and they don't know who you are. I know who you are and do feel badly that a couple of questions haven't be addressed yet for you, but overall you've gotten good help here over the past week on other questions.

5) We are a young site and constantly working to get more traffic. In fact this week we have a SEO firm starting a project with us. I hope it will bring more users in.

So all in all, I understand your frustration but we are far from "dead" and I think that if you do a couple of things I mentioned above you might get the help you want quicker.

Best,
Jameson

• Banned

Poirot

Banned
Feb 15, 2012
I tried to express my thoughts without coming across as a spoilt brat but re-reading it and the title ( which is a clear exaggeration) I am not sure I succeeded. Your reply is very measured and more tolerant than I think my post deserved, though I think the point remains that the split that has occured between this site and the 'other' site is very regrettable.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I tried to express my thoughts without coming across as a spoilt brat but re-reading it and the title ( which is a clear exaggeration) I am not sure I succeeded. Your reply is very measured and more tolerant than I think my post deserved, though I think the point remains that the split that has occured between this site and the 'other' site is very regrettable.
I appreciate that Poirot, truly.

I agree with you that the way this site started was very unique and I have been trying and will continue to try to distance ourselves from MHF. If MHF was a site that could be saved I would be there and not here, but after working there for many years I know all too well the state of things. MHB has a lot of work to do and trust me when I write that the low traffic frustrates me to the point of losing sleep sometimes. It's our biggest weak point right now for sure. My hope is when the dust settles in a few years, we'll come out on top. I sincerely want to see a strong math community and think MHB is where it will be.

Please don't feel shy about giving feedback in the future. I don't think this thread was meant to be rude at all. You spoke your mind and I don't want to have a site where civil people cannot speak their minds. :)

Best,
Jameson

Last edited: