Forum Alerts Not Working on Firefox, Windows 7

• Thread starter Bandersnatch
  • Start date
In summary, the forum is not always giving me new posts in the watched threads, but once I viewed the thread, the alerts started coming again.
Bandersnatch
Science Advisor
Every now and then the forum stops giving me alerts from new posts in the watched threads. Once I viewed the thread, manually so to speak, the alerts start coming again.

I'm not sure whether it's an issue with the forum or maybe with something on my end. I'm on Firefox (34.0.5), windows 7.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh.
That's... an odd design choice in my opinion, but fair enough.

Prevents you from getting swamped with alerts. You must visit the thread to get another alert.

O.k., I think I know what's going on (maybe).
What you're talking about is the (good!) feature where only one alert is generated regardless of the number of new posts in the thread since you've last visited. This is all fine, as you won't miss a posting, since the alert is hanging there and waiting for you. However, if I open the alerts box and not follow some of them to their respective threads, for whatever reason, the alert count is reset, but the new alerts still are not getting generated.
So each time you don't follow the alert you're effectively disabling all future alerts from this thread, despite it still being watched.
At least I think that's what's happening.

Perhaps the forum could be made to restart generating alerts not after opening a thread, but after opening the alerts dropdown menu(after resetting the number)?

Alerts are acting up again. I'm working in Gen. Phys. right now with someone, checking main forum from time to time, and "watched threads." I see alerts in watched threads, but not everything is coming through under "Alerts" on the header. About half & half.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Did yo get this one?
Affirmative.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Skipping again --- got the HW done, but didn't get the last post from OP saying so.

Not "alert" type alert, but the message that says, "Messages have been posted, did you want to view them" while I'm composing a response to a thread --- just had a fender-bender with DrClaude in Intro. Phys. HW --- the page "jumped" as it does when "Messages ... " comes up, but it didn't actually deliver the message, leading me to the alternative conclusion for page "jump" which is cat playing with the mouse. No harm done, but something for the list of odd quirks that come and go with the software.

Related to Forum Alerts Not Working on Firefox, Windows 7

What could be causing forum alerts to not work on Firefox and Windows 7?

There could be several potential reasons for this issue. It could be due to a glitch or bug in the forum software, a compatibility issue with the Firefox browser, or a problem with the Windows 7 operating system. It is also possible that the user's browser settings or extensions are interfering with the forum alerts.

How can I troubleshoot the problem of not receiving forum alerts on Firefox and Windows 7?

To troubleshoot this issue, you can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, disabling any browser extensions, and updating your browser to the latest version. You can also try accessing the forum on a different browser or device to see if the issue persists. If the problem continues, contacting the forum's technical support team or posting on the forum's community page for assistance may also be helpful.

Are there any known solutions for fixing forum alert issues on Firefox and Windows 7?

There is not one specific solution for this issue as it can have various causes. However, some potential solutions include updating your browser and operating system, adjusting your browser's security settings, and making sure the forum notifications are enabled in your account settings. It may also be helpful to check the forum's support page or community forums for any known issues or solutions.

Could outdated software be the reason why forum alerts are not working on Firefox and Windows 7?

Yes, outdated software could potentially be a cause for this issue. It is important to regularly update your browser and operating system to ensure compatibility with the latest software and technologies. Additionally, outdated forum software may also cause notification issues, so checking for updates or contacting the forum's technical support team may be necessary.

Is there a way to receive forum alerts on Firefox and Windows 7 without using the browser?

Yes, there are alternative methods for receiving forum alerts without using the Firefox browser. Some forums may have a mobile app available for download, which can send notifications directly to your device. Additionally, you can also use an RSS feed reader or email notifications to receive updates from the forum. However, these options may vary depending on the forum's features and settings.