Formulas from question that BATE pH calculator gave me

In summary, The speaker found a chemistry calculator on a forum that helped them solve a problem involving finding the pH of a solution with given information about the concentration and pKa values. The calculator gave them a pH of 1.55, which seemed plausible but they were unsure. The speaker found the formulas for the calculator too complicated and decided to try solving the problem on their own. They ultimately solved the problem correctly but doubted themselves and changed their answer. They received help from the calculator and found it to be very useful, but also recognized the importance of understanding the process when it comes to exams.
Pisani
Hello, I am EXTREMELY glad I found this forum.

I used a chemistry calculator that was posted by a poster here in a signature (BATE calculator from ChemBuddy) and it gave me an instant result to a problem I was trying to solve for a while, and that I should have been able to do on my own. I was given a problem that at one point in the solving of it I needed to find the pH of a solution. I knew the concentration of the HA ([HA]=0.200) and i had the information to find the first and second pKa (pKa1=2.34, pKa2=9.69) (the acid was Alinine, the amino acid). I needed to use this to find the pH of the solution at this point. From there I can find the rest of the problem, but it seemed to me that I couldn't get pH from that amount of information. The BATE calculator gave me a pH of 1.55, which seems like it COULD be right to me. I'm not sure. The big deal is knowing the way that the calculator could get that pH for me.

EDIT:I just found the formulas. They are WAY too complicated for my tiny mind. And there is no way I was meant to find it like that, so it's back to square 1 for me.

Also, in case I'm doing this all wrong, the question is as follows:

I need to prepare 4.00 L of a 0.200 M Alanine buffer with a pH of 5.0. I have the following reagents available:
  • Alanine (solid) in its zwtterionic form (net charge of zero, pI=6.00) at molecular weight 89.0 g/mol.
  • 0.01M HCl
  • Water

Find the amount of each reagent required.I know how much alanine is required (0.800 mol = 71.2g), and the amount of water is simple subtraction, but the volume of HCl solution is giving me trouble.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I used the calculator again to get my final answers, but it was essentially trial and error. I won't get full marks for the question because I didn't use any normal design to find the answer, but the calculator has finally gotten me a solid answer.

However, I could still use an explanation as to how to solve this question if it were to come up on a final exam. Any help you can give is still welcomed.

EDIT: HOORAY! I just figured it out for myself. It turned out I actually had done it right the first time I tried, but I doubted myself and changed it. Thanks anyways, and the BATE calculator I was linked from this site is fantastic.

Last edited:
Pisani said:
However, I could still use an explanation as to how to solve this question if it were to come up on a final exam. Any help you can give is still welcomed.

That is a problem! Don't come to depend on a calculator to find your answers without a complete understanding of the process unless you can use the calculator on your test!

Related to Formulas from question that BATE pH calculator gave me

1. How do I interpret the results from the BATE pH calculator?

The BATE pH calculator provides results in the form of formulas, which can be used to determine the pH of a solution. The formulas are based on the concentration of the acid or base, the dissociation constant, and the equilibrium constant. The results can help determine the acidity or basicity of a solution.

2. Can I use the formulas from the BATE pH calculator for any type of solution?

The formulas provided by the BATE pH calculator are applicable for aqueous solutions of strong acids and bases. They may not be accurate for other types of solutions, such as weak acids or bases, or non-aqueous solutions.

3. How accurate are the formulas from the BATE pH calculator?

The accuracy of the formulas from the BATE pH calculator depends on the accuracy of the input values and the assumptions made in the calculations. Additionally, these formulas are based on theoretical calculations and may not always reflect the exact pH of a solution.

4. Can I use the BATE pH calculator to determine the pH of a complex mixture?

The BATE pH calculator is designed to determine the pH of single-component solutions. It may not be accurate for complex mixtures, as it does not take into account interactions between different components in the solution.

5. How can I use the formulas from the BATE pH calculator in my research or experiments?

The formulas from the BATE pH calculator can be used to guide your research or experiments by providing an estimate of the pH of a solution. However, it is important to validate the results with experimental data and to consider any limitations or potential errors in the calculations.