Formulas for constant power acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the formulas for power, acceleration, velocity, position, time, and force, as well as solving for them in an object at rest. The formulas are used to determine x as a function of t, t as a function of x, and work done as a function of x and t. The conversation also mentions the possibility of someone having already solved this problem, but ultimately decides to work it out themselves.
rcgldr
Homework Helper
This isn't homework. A friend asked about this so I decided to work out the formulas, but wanted to know if this was already done by someone here (otherwise I'll do the math).

p = power (constant)
a = acceleration
v = velocity
x = position
t = time
f = force

Assume an object is initially at rest, at position zero and time zero:

v0 = 0
x0 = 0
t0 = 0

f = m a
p = f v
f = p / v

first step

a = f / m = dv/dt = p / (m v)
v dv = (p/m) dt
1/2 v2 = (p/m) t

[tex] v = \frac{dx}{dt} = \sqrt {\frac{2\ p\ t}{m}} [/tex]

This is continued to find x as a function of t, then t as a function of x

Then determine f(x) = p / v(x)

and finally show that work done is

[tex]p\ t_1 = \int_0^{x_1} f(x) dx [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
You can simply integrate your equation for v(t) and get x(t). That can be used to get v(x) and the other expressions.

mfb said:
You can simply integrate your equation for v(t) and get x(t). That can be used to get v(x) and the other expressions.
I know that, was just wondering if someone here had already done this in a previous thread. The previous threads I did find never actually completed the formulas. I'll go ahead and do this later.

I am sure this has been done before, it is a nice and easy problem in mechanics and can be solved with very basic concepts.

[tex] p = f \ v [/tex]
[tex] a = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{f}{m} = \frac {p} {m\ v} [/tex]
[tex] v\ dv = \frac{p}{m}\ dt [/tex]
[tex] \frac{1}{2}\ v^2 = \frac{p}{m}\ t [/tex]
[tex] v = \frac{dx}{dt} = \sqrt {\frac{2\ p\ t}{m}} [/tex]
[tex] dx = \sqrt {\frac{2\ p\ t}{m}}\ dt [/tex]
[tex] x = \sqrt {\frac{8\ p\ t^3}{9\ m}} [/tex]
[tex] t = \sqrt[3] {\frac{9\ m\ x^2}{8\ p}} [/tex]
a as a function of t:
[tex] a = \frac {p} {m\ v} = \frac {p} {m\ {\sqrt {\frac{2\ p\ t}{m}}}}
= \sqrt {\frac{p}{2\ m\ t}}[/tex]
v as function of x:
[tex] v = \sqrt {\frac{2\ p\ \sqrt[3] {\frac{9\ m\ x^2}{8\ p}}}{m}}
= \sqrt[3] {\frac{3\ p\ x}{m}} [/tex]
a as a function of x:
[tex] a = \frac{p}{m \ v} = \frac{p}{m \ \sqrt[3] {\frac{3\ p\ x}{m}}}
= \sqrt[3] {\frac{p^2}{3\ m^2\ x}} [/tex]
f as a function of x:
[tex] f = m\ a = \sqrt[3] {\frac{m\ p^2}{3\ x}} [/tex]
work done versus x:
[tex] w = \int_0^x \sqrt[3] {\frac{m\ p^2}{3\ x}} \ dx
= \sqrt[3]{\frac{9\ m\ p^2\ x^2}{8}} [/tex]
work done versus time:
[tex] w = \sqrt[3]{\frac{9\ m\ p^2\ \left( \sqrt {\frac{8\ p\ t^3}{9\ m}} \right )^2}{8}}
= p \ t [/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Formulas for constant power acceleration

1. What is the formula for constant power acceleration?

The formula for constant power acceleration is P = m * a * v, where P represents power, m represents mass, a represents acceleration, and v represents velocity.

2. How is constant power acceleration different from constant acceleration?

Constant power acceleration takes into account the force exerted by a constant power source, while constant acceleration only considers the change in velocity over time.

3. How is power related to acceleration in the formula for constant power acceleration?

Power is directly proportional to acceleration in the formula for constant power acceleration. This means that as power increases, acceleration also increases.

4. Can the formula for constant power acceleration be used for objects with varying mass?

Yes, the formula for constant power acceleration can be used for objects with varying mass. However, the mass should be taken into consideration when calculating the force exerted by the constant power source.

5. Can this formula be used for objects moving at an angle?

Yes, the formula for constant power acceleration can be used for objects moving at an angle. In this case, the velocity component in the formula should be the component in the direction of motion.