Formula of Forces: 2.1 & 0.35 Meaning

In summary: This allows us to equate the different forces in the equation. In summary, the 2.1 and 0.35 refer to the average depth of the approach and exit sides, respectively. The equation calculates the forces acting on the system, including Fx, which is the force per unit width needed to keep the spillway in place. The unknown width is taken out, allowing us to equate the different forces.
werson tan

Homework Statement

what is the 2.1 and 0.35 refers to in the equation of (9810)(2.1)(4.2)- 9810(0.35)(0.7) -Fx = 1000(5.88)(8.4-1.401) ??
is it the width ? but , the width is not given ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 0086.PNG
    0086.PNG
    5.7 KB · Views: 359
  • 0087.PNG
    0087.PNG
    10.6 KB · Views: 322
  • 0088.PNG
    0088.PNG
    6.8 KB · Views: 343
Physics news on Phys.org
Same pattern post: not understandable without the pictures. I have to keep open five windows to have a good look at this. It's late and I'm tired.

Where the depth is 4.2m, the average depth is 2.1m, so the average pressure on the approach is 1000(9.81)(2.1)N/m2.
Multiplying by the height gives the force per unit width on the approach. Similarly on the exit side.
I do have one concern. The barrier is not 4.2m in height, so the calculated force on the approach side seems to much. To get a more accurate result we would need to find the height of the water surface above the highest point of the barrier.

Tell us what the expressions they use for the ##F_1## and ##F_2## stand for ...

haruspex said:
Where the depth is 4.2m, the average depth is 2.1m, so the average pressure on the approach is 1000(9.81)(2.1)N/m2.
Multiplying by the height gives the force per unit width on the approach. Similarly on the exit side.
I do have one concern. The barrier is not 4.2m in height, so the calculated force on the approach side seems to much. To get a more accurate result we would need to find the height of the water surface above the highest point of the barrier.

Edit: I misunderstood the calculation.
Consider the whole of the system covered by the diagram.
F1 is the force acting to the right on that system from the body of water to the left.
Similarly, F2 is the force acting on it to the left from the body of water to the right.
Fx is the horizontal force from the ground to keep the spillway in place.
The sum of these external forces equals the rate of change of momentum.

haruspex said:
ok , i can understand the red part of the equation (9810)(2.1)(4.2)- 9810(0.35)(0.7) -Fx = 1000(5.88)(8.4-1.401) , but 1000(5.88)(8.4-1.401) is force , am i right ? it's not force per unit width... they are not having the same unit...how cvan they be equqal to each other?

haruspex said:
do u mean since the width is unknown and constant through out the whole object , so we can take it out and leave the ans (Fx) is Force per unit width>

werson tan said:
do u mean since the width is unknown and constant through out the whole object , so we can take it out and leave the ans (Fx) is Force per unit width>
Yes, we do not know the width, so all forces are considered per unit width.

Likes werson tan

Related to Formula of Forces: 2.1 & 0.35 Meaning

What is the formula for calculating forces?

The formula for calculating forces is F = m x a, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration.

What does the "2.1" in "Formula of Forces: 2.1 & 0.35 Meaning" refer to?

The "2.1" in "Formula of Forces: 2.1 & 0.35 Meaning" refers to the coefficient of friction, which is a dimensionless quantity that measures the amount of friction between two surfaces.

What does the "0.35" in "Formula of Forces: 2.1 & 0.35 Meaning" refer to?

The "0.35" in "Formula of Forces: 2.1 & 0.35 Meaning" refers to the coefficient of friction between two specific surfaces, which is used in the calculation of the force of friction between those surfaces.

What is the significance of understanding the formula of forces?

Understanding the formula of forces is significant because it allows us to predict and calculate the effects of forces on objects, which is crucial in many scientific fields such as physics and engineering. It also helps us understand the relationship between mass, acceleration, and force.

How can the formula of forces be applied in real-life situations?

The formula of forces can be applied in real-life situations such as calculating the force required to move an object, determining the forces acting on a moving car, or predicting the acceleration of a falling object. It is also used in designing structures and machinery to ensure their stability and safety.