And the question remains, is our Universe really a Hologram?

In summary, the holographic universe theory is that the universe is two dimensional rather than three dimensional, and that the 3rd being a sort of illusion. It also confirms FTL communication and the retention of "memory" of each electron.
startic84
the holographic universe?

Greetings and Hi all =)

Is there such a thing, a holographic universe? I recently stumbled upon this concept while browsing through some magazines.

I would like to ask a few questions. Could someone please provide the answers to the following questions >>> What is the theory of a holographic universe essentially about? How is it that the universe we live in can be said to be holographic? Is it an established and proven idea?

Im sure this is the right place to ask because this idea of a holographic universe is a cosmological question. But i am not sure if it had been asked before. If there was, could someone kindly redirect me to the thread?

Thank you for your time =)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The holographic universe is the idea that the universe is two-dimensional rather than three-dimensional, the 3rd being a sort of illusion, just like 2d holograms can hold information about 3d objects.

To the best of my knowledge this view comes around from entropy observations, where for example the entropy of a black hole is equal to the schwarzhild surface measured in Planck lengths.

I'm certain that it is not a proved idea and pretty certain that it is not an established idea either.

The Holographic Universe

According to Talbot's theory (and most I've looked at), the "Holographic Universe" theory is basically summed up as;

"The reflection of the whole is encompassed within the smallest particle."

Therefore, no electron is distinguishable from another (in fact, some Holographic theories subscribe to the disturbing conclusion that there is only ONE electron in the entire Universe!)
Now I wouldn't go that far...

However, Holographic Universe theory does CONFIRM FTL communication (non-locality), and does CONFIRM the retention of "memory" of each electron.

Not a bad theory (better than most), but it still doesn't explain Dark Matter, so in the end, its useless...

1. What is the holographic universe theory?

The holographic universe theory is a scientific concept that suggests the entire universe, including all matter and energy, is actually a projection from a two-dimensional surface. This theory is based on the idea that the universe is fundamentally a hologram, with information about its three-dimensional reality being encoded on a two-dimensional surface.

2. How does the holographic universe theory relate to quantum physics?

The holographic universe theory is closely related to quantum physics, as it suggests that the fundamental building blocks of our reality are not particles, but rather information. This idea aligns with the principles of quantum mechanics, which state that particles do not have a definite location or state until they are observed or measured. In the holographic universe theory, this observation or measurement is equivalent to the projection of information from the two-dimensional surface to our three-dimensional reality.

3. What evidence supports the holographic universe theory?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the holographic universe theory. One of the most compelling is the discovery of the holographic principle, which was proposed by physicist Leonard Susskind in the 1990s. This principle states that all the information in a certain region of space can be encoded on the boundary of that region. Additionally, some experiments in quantum mechanics, such as the double-slit experiment, have shown that particles behave differently when observed, which supports the idea that reality is constructed through observation.

4. Can the holographic universe theory be proven?

At this time, the holographic universe theory is still a theory and has not been proven definitively. However, there is a growing body of evidence and research that supports this concept, and many scientists believe that it has the potential to explain some of the mysteries of the universe that cannot be fully explained by current theories.

5. What are the implications of the holographic universe theory?

If the holographic universe theory is proven to be true, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It would challenge traditional notions of reality and could potentially open up new possibilities for scientific advancements. It could also have implications for fields such as philosophy and psychology, as it could change our understanding of consciousness and the nature of existence.