Formula for rate of evaporation of water

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a formula to calculate the evaporation rate of water for a project. The participants discussed various variables that could potentially affect the rate, such as heat, altitude, time, speed of river/stream, roughness of river bed, depth of water, distance from equator, pollutants in water, salinity, mineral content, humidity, and surface area. They also mentioned the Clausius Clapeyron relation and the concept of evapotranspiration. Additionally, they brought up the hydrological component of stream water gain/loss.
deamon
My sister and I are working on a project in which we need to know the rate of evaporation of water... I know that there are a lot of variables to this equation, but we aren't sure exactly where we will end up completing it, so does anyone know a formula to calculate the evaporation rate of water?

Also, if no one knows a good formula for it, I've come up with a list of variables which might possibly make a difference in the rate, but I'm not sure how much each matters. Can you tell me which of these actually makes a difference in the rate, and which ones don't affect it enough to worry about? The list we came up with was:

-heat (of the water)
-altitude (also air pressure)
-time
-speed of river/stream
-roughness of river bed (that would probably change the surface tension, causing a faster rate of evaporation)
-depth of water
-distance from equator (Water is a polar molecule, so would the magnetic fields of Earth make a difference?)
-pollutants in water
-salinity
-mineral content (including heaviness of the minerals)
-humidity, and
-surface area

Thank you :smile:

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Are you interested in evapotranspiration? There is also a hydrological component to stream water gain/loss.

Related to Formula for rate of evaporation of water

What is the formula for rate of evaporation of water?

The formula for rate of evaporation of water is: rate of evaporation = (surface area of water x vapor pressure of water) / (thermal conductivity of air x distance between water surface and air)

What factors affect the rate of evaporation of water?

The factors that affect the rate of evaporation of water include surface area of water, vapor pressure of water, thermal conductivity of air, and distance between water surface and air. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and wind speed can also play a role.

How can the rate of evaporation of water be increased?

The rate of evaporation of water can be increased by increasing the surface area of water, decreasing the distance between water surface and air, and increasing the temperature and wind speed. Additionally, decreasing the humidity can also increase the rate of evaporation.

Why is the rate of evaporation of water important?

The rate of evaporation of water is important because it plays a crucial role in the water cycle and affects the weather and climate. It also affects the rate of cooling in industrial processes and can be used for water treatment and desalination.

How is the rate of evaporation of water measured?

The rate of evaporation of water can be measured using devices such as a pan evaporimeter or a lysimeter. It can also be calculated using the formula mentioned above by measuring the necessary variables.