Formula for Helmholtz Coil with a finite thickness?

In summary: I'll leave it to the reader to check. In summary, the Helmholtz coil has a formula given by mu*(0.8^1.5)*nI/R, where I is the current, n is the number of coils, and R is the radius of the coil. The Helmholtz coil will have a small 'thickness' w (so it looks like a hollow cylinder with a very small height), and the two coils will be separated by R' (R' is measured from the two inner most coils).
dilloncyh
The formula for Helmholtz coil is given by mu*(0.8^1.5)*nI/R, where I is the current, n is te number of coil and R is the radius of the coil.

Now assume the bunch of coils have a small 'thickness' w (so it looks like a hollow cylinder with a very small height), and the the two coils are separated by R' (R' is measured from the two inner most coils). How should I set-up the integral using Biot-Savart Law (or other method) to find the expression for B-field for this 'non-ideal' Helmholtz coil?

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to know the current distribution through the coils. Is the current conducted on the surface of the coils or equally across the cross sectional area?

I will assume the current flows evenly on the surface of that 'short, hollow cylinder'

If the coils have small axial length compared with their radii you won't make much error by placing their CENTRES one radius apart. If you still want a correction, then you'll find there's a simple equation out there for the field (at points on the axis) of a solenoid of finite length (which is what each of your coils is, if I've understood aright). It's a fairly standard formula, usually obtained by integrating up the fields due to 'flat' coils, into which the solenoid can be split. Anyway, you can use it to give you the field at the centre of your non-ideal Helmholtz pair. Come back if this isn't clear.

It's probably easier to solve this numerically. It's a simple application of Biot-Savart but rather messy.

For what it's worth, I carried out the programme in post 4, expanding the cosines as Taylor series in terms of axial distance [itex]\Delta x[/itex] of the ends of the coils from their middles, and with the middles of the coils one radius (a) apart, found that B midway between the coils was
[tex]B = \frac{\mu_0 I n}{a} \left[\frac{4}{5}\right]^\frac{3}{2} \left[1+\frac{3}{10} \frac{(\Delta x)^2}{a^2}\right].[/tex]
The last set of square brackets contains the correction factor. As you can see, its very small, even if [itex]\Delta x = 0.1 x[/itex], that is even if the axial lengths of the coil is 20% of the coil radius.

Of course, I may have made slips...

Last edited:

Related to Formula for Helmholtz Coil with a finite thickness?

1. What is the purpose of using a finite thickness in a Helmholtz coil?

The addition of a finite thickness to a Helmholtz coil creates a more realistic and practical design, as most coils used in experiments and applications have a finite thickness. It also allows for better control and manipulation of the magnetic field produced by the coil.

2. How is the formula for Helmholtz coil with a finite thickness different from the formula for an ideal Helmholtz coil?

The formula for an ideal Helmholtz coil only takes into account the distance between the coils and the radius of the coils, while the formula for a Helmholtz coil with a finite thickness also includes the thickness of the coils and the distance between the coils and the object being tested.

3. Can the formula for Helmholtz coil with a finite thickness be applied to any object being tested?

No, the formula is specifically designed for objects with a small size compared to the distance between the coils. For larger objects, the magnetic field produced by the coil may not be uniform, and a different formula would need to be used.

4. How does changing the thickness of the coils affect the magnetic field produced by a Helmholtz coil?

Increasing the thickness of the coils will result in a stronger magnetic field being produced, as there is more current flowing through a larger cross-sectional area. However, this also means that the coil will have a lower resistance and may require a higher power source to prevent overheating.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Helmholtz coil with a finite thickness?

Yes, the magnetic field produced by a Helmholtz coil with a finite thickness will not be completely uniform, especially at the edges of the coil. The thickness of the coils must also be small enough compared to the distance between the coils to ensure that the field remains approximately uniform.