Formula For Confidence Interval of Two Samples With Unequal Variances

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for calculating the confidence interval for the mean difference in the case of two independent samples with unknown population variances. The formula for the t-score for the t-test with unequal variances is also mentioned. The conversation concludes that the confidence interval is a multiple of the standard deviation and can be used as a check for the t-test results.
Soaring Crane
Are there any online sources that would note (and define all variables, especially on how to calculate standard error) in the formula for calculating the confidence interval, a complement to the t-test, of two independent samples with unequal variances? (I want to see exactly how software/graphing calculators are giving me upper and lower limit values.)

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to combine those two samples?
Let ##\mu_i##, ##\sigma_i^2## be the mean and variance of measurement i.
The optimal combination can be obtained as a weighted average with the inverse variance as weights:

$$\mu = \frac{1}{\sigma_1^{-2}+\sigma_2^{-2}}\left(\frac{\mu_1}{\sigma_1^2} +\frac{\mu_2}{\sigma_2^2}\right)$$
$$\sigma^2 = \frac{1}{\sigma_1^{-2}+\sigma_2^{-2}}$$

This is just regular error propagation (assuming Gaussian distributions), and the weights are chosen to minimize ##\sigma##. You can check this yourself, if you like, there is no need to look for any reference. I did not check the second formula, but I think it is correct.

If you want to compare the samples, calculate the difference, and see if it is compatible with 0.

Last edited:
Soaring Crane said:
Are there any online sources that would note (and define all variables, especially on how to calculate standard error) in the formula for calculating the confidence interval, a complement to the t-test, of two independent samples with unequal variances? (I want to see exactly how software/graphing calculators are giving me upper and lower limit values.)

Thank you.

Confidence interval for what? Difference of the sample means? It could be anything.

ImaLooser,

I apologize. It would be the confidence interval for the mean difference (difference of the sample means) in the case where the population variances are unknown. For example, I know the formula for calulating the t-score for the t-test with unequal variances:

t = (mean difference)/(standard error),

where standard error = sqrt{[(s_1)^2/(n_1)^2] + [(s_2)^2/(n_2)^2]}

s = standard deviation
n = sample size

I wanted the formula for the confidence interval as a check for the t-test results.

Thank you.

Those confidence intervals are just multiples of the standard deviation - again, assuming Gaussian distributions.

Soaring Crane said:
ImaLooser,

I apologize. It would be the confidence interval for the mean difference (difference of the sample means) in the case where the population variances are unknown. For example, I know the formula for calulating the t-score for the t-test with unequal variances:

t = (mean difference)/(standard error),

where standard error = sqrt{[(s_1)^2/(n_1)^2] + [(s_2)^2/(n_2)^2]}

s = standard deviation
n = sample size

I wanted the formula for the confidence interval as a check for the t-test results.

Thank you.

I haven't done any of this for over fifteen years, but I believe you are correct. The variance of the difference in sample means is equal to the sum of the two sample variances. Take the square root to get the standard error. A 95% confidence interval is then [u - 1.97s, u + 1.97s] where u is the difference in sample means.

Related to Formula For Confidence Interval of Two Samples With Unequal Variances

1. What is the formula for calculating the confidence interval of two samples with unequal variances?

The formula for calculating the confidence interval of two samples with unequal variances is:
CI = (x̄1 - x̄2) ± tα/2, n1 + n2 - 2 √[(s1)2/n1 + (s2)2/n2]

Where x̄1 and x̄2 are the means of the two samples, s1 and s2 are the standard deviations of the two samples, n1 and n2 are the sample sizes, and tα/2, n1 + n2 - 2 is the critical value from the t-distribution with α/2 as the significance level and n1 + n2 - 2 degrees of freedom.

2. When should the formula for confidence interval of two samples with unequal variances be used?

The formula for confidence interval of two samples with unequal variances should be used when the variances of the two samples are not equal and the sample sizes are relatively small (less than 30). This is because the formula takes into account the unequal variances and uses the t-distribution instead of the z-distribution, which is more appropriate for small sample sizes.

3. How do you interpret the confidence interval for two samples with unequal variances?

The confidence interval for two samples with unequal variances can be interpreted as follows:
We are X% confident that the true difference between the means of the two populations lies within the calculated interval. In other words, if we were to repeat the sampling process and calculate the confidence interval multiple times, X% of the intervals would contain the true difference between the means.

4. Can the confidence interval for two samples with unequal variances be negative?

Yes, the confidence interval for two samples with unequal variances can be negative. This simply means that the value of the lower limit of the interval is lower than the value of the higher limit. This does not have any impact on the accuracy or validity of the interval.

5. How does the sample size affect the width of the confidence interval for two samples with unequal variances?

The sample size has an inverse relationship with the width of the confidence interval for two samples with unequal variances. As the sample size increases, the standard error of the mean decreases, resulting in a narrower confidence interval. Conversely, as the sample size decreases, the standard error of the mean increases, resulting in a wider confidence interval.