Formula for Aircraft Propeller Thrust

In summary, the formula for thrust in a real world application is T= pi / 4 x D(squared) x (v+V1/2) x p x V1 and it accounts for changes in propeller diameter, velocity of incoming flow, additional velocity from acceleration, and density of fluid. However, it does not account for changes in pitch angle. There is another equation that includes pitch angle, but it also involves unknown constants related to blade design. There is also a simplified version of the equation for thrust that includes pitch angle and is derived from Newton's laws. This equation is F = 4.3924e-8*RPM*d^3.5/sqrt(pitch)*(4.23333e-
tilopa
I'm trying to understand thrust for a real world application. I found this formula:

T= pi / 4 x D(squared) x (v+V1/2) x p x V1

Where:

T thrust [N]
D propeller diameter [m]
v velocity of incoming flow [m/s]
V1 additional velocity, acceleration by propeller [m/s]
P density of fluid [kg/m³]
(air: = 1.225 kg/m³, water: = 1000 kg/m³)

I understand how increasing the propeller diameter would increase the "amount" of air and therefor increase thrust. But the equation does not account for the increased pitch angle of the propeller blades. Intuitively (and by Newton's Third Law of Motion) if you increase the angle of the blade against the air you will be pushing more air (greater "amount" of air), correct? So, does anyone have an equation for thrust that includes the propeller angle. Or an equation that I can use that includes pitch angle to replace the D2 value in this equation?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
the equation does not account for the increased pitch angle of the propeller blades.

I think it does. Changing pitch would change the V1 term.

I think if you find one that has pitch in it explicitly it will also have unknown constants that relate to the blade design. For example the torque won't be zero at zero pitch. It might not be a maximium at max pitch either.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll check out those links.

tilopa, I know this thread is old, but I wanted to share with you an equation I came across recently for propeller thrust that *does* include pitch angle. Here is the simplified version of the equation:

F = 4.3924e-8*RPM*d^3.5/sqrt(pitch)*(4.23333e-4*RPM*pitch – Vac).

F is thrust in Newtons, RPM is rotations per minute, d is prop. diameter in inches, pitch is prop. pitch in inches, Vac is aircraft airspeed in m/s. The full derivation of the equation begins with Newton’s laws, and is shown here: http://electricrcaircraftguy.blogsp...tatic-dynamic-thrust-equation-background.html

Related to Formula for Aircraft Propeller Thrust

1. What is the formula for aircraft propeller thrust?

The formula for aircraft propeller thrust is T = ρ * A * V * (V - V0), where T is thrust, ρ is the density of air, A is the propeller disc area, V is the airspeed, and V0 is the induced velocity.

2. How is the density of air calculated in the formula for aircraft propeller thrust?

The density of air used in the formula is typically calculated using the standard atmosphere model, which takes into account altitude, temperature, and pressure. However, for more accurate calculations, actual local air density can be measured and used in the formula.

3. What is the significance of the propeller disc area in the formula for aircraft propeller thrust?

The propeller disc area represents the area swept by the propeller blades and is an important factor in determining the amount of air that the propeller can move. A larger disc area means more air can be moved, resulting in a higher thrust generated.

4. How does airspeed affect the thrust generated by an aircraft propeller?

Airspeed is a crucial factor in the formula for aircraft propeller thrust. As airspeed increases, so does the difference between the actual airspeed and the induced velocity, resulting in a higher thrust generated. However, if the airspeed is too high, it can lead to inefficiency and even damage to the propeller.

5. Can the formula for aircraft propeller thrust be used for all types of aircraft?

While the formula can be applied to most propeller-driven aircraft, it may not be suitable for all types. Some aircraft, such as helicopters, have more complex propeller systems that require different formulas for thrust calculations. It is important to consult the appropriate formulas and equations for the specific aircraft being studied.