Forming a general summation of terms

In summary, the conversation is about trying to find a general term for the denominator in a summation for y1. The product symbol denotes a product instead of a sum, and the conversation also discusses the process of devising the summation formula. The origin of y1 and y2 is also questioned.
MathewsMD
Hi,

I was trying to form a summation for ##y_1## and have provided a solution but do not quite understand how it was formulated. I was trying to look for general patters and besides a ##(-1)^{n+1}x^2n## in the numerator, I'm a little lost on how to find a general term for the denominator. Also, is the pi just another summation symbol inside of the sigma summation? Does the symbol have any other meaning? Any help regarding how to approach this questions would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 8.54.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 8.54.55 PM.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 434
Physics news on Phys.org
The [itex] \prod [/itex] symbol denotes a product instead of a sum.
For example
[itex] \prod_{k=1}^3 (2k+ 1) = (2+1)(4+1)(6+1) [/itex]

Stephen Tashi said:
The [itex] \prod [/itex] symbol denotes a product instead of a sum.
For example
[itex] \prod_{k=1}^3 (2k+ 1) = (2+1)(4+1)(6+1) [/itex]

Thank you. Just wondering, how was the summation formulated, though? I can check it and it works, but would not have devised that easily myself. Any hints on catching on to this particular pattern?

Were y1 and y2 just given to you? I notice they are handwritten. Did you derive them yourself?

Hello,

It seems like you are trying to find a general term for the summation of ##y_1##. When approaching a problem like this, one strategy is to look for patterns in the terms and try to express them in a general form. In this case, you have already identified the pattern in the numerator as ##(-1)^{n+1}x^{2n}##, which is a good start.

To find a general term for the denominator, you can also look for patterns in the terms. For example, you may notice that the denominator is a summation itself, with ##2^{k+1}## as the first term and ##k## as the last term. This suggests that the general term for the denominator could be ##2^{k+1}##. However, it is important to note that without knowing the specific values for ##n## and ##k##, it is difficult to provide a precise general term.

As for the pi symbol, it is commonly used to represent the product of a sequence of terms. In this case, it may be used to indicate that the values of ##k## are being multiplied together. However, without more context, it is difficult to determine its exact meaning.

I hope this helps in your understanding of how to approach this problem. Keep looking for patterns and making connections between the terms to find a general solution. Good luck!

Related to Forming a general summation of terms

1. What is the purpose of forming a general summation of terms?

The purpose of forming a general summation of terms is to condense a large amount of information into a concise and easily understandable summary. This allows for a better understanding of complex concepts or data sets.

2. How do you determine which terms to include in a general summation?

The terms included in a general summation are typically the most important and relevant ones to the topic being summarized. This can be determined by analyzing the frequency, significance, and impact of each term.

3. Can a general summation be biased or subjective?

Yes, a general summation can potentially be biased or subjective if the person creating it selectively chooses which terms to include or interprets them in a certain way. It is important to use objective criteria and data to avoid bias in a general summation.

4. Is it necessary to use technical terms in a general summation?

It depends on the audience and purpose of the general summation. If the audience is familiar with technical terms, then it may be appropriate to use them. However, if the audience is not familiar with technical terms, it may be better to use simpler language to ensure understanding.

5. How can a general summation be used in scientific research?

A general summation can be used in scientific research to provide a brief overview of a topic or to summarize a large amount of data. It can also be used to compare and contrast different studies or to identify common themes in a particular field of research.