Formatting when paste from Open Office in Win 7

• Thread starter Baluncore
  • Start date
In summary, when copying and pasting text from Open Office on Windows 7 to PF, extra spaces and doubled line feeds are introduced. Recently, a block of about a dozen blank characters has been appearing at the beginning of the insert, and in the last couple of days, 3 blank characters have been inserted after full stops and in other places in the text. This is only visible in the reply window, not in the final post or a text copy from the spaced reply window. It has been noted that clicking the gear for "Toggle BB code" removes the issue.
Baluncore
Science Advisor
2023 Award
When I cut and paste text to PF from Open Office (on Win 7) I get extra spaces introduced. Line feeds appear to be doubled. For some weeks now, PF has shown a block of about a dozen blank characters at the head of the insert. In the last couple of days there are 3 blank characters being inserted after full stops, and in many other places in the text. What has changed? There were no blank lines in this which shows the unedited result.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems. The effect is only visible in the reply window, but not in the final post, or a text copy from the spaced reply window.

When I did it, i noticed that clicking the gear for "Toggle BB code" removes it.

Related to Formatting when paste from Open Office in Win 7

What is formatting when pasting from Open Office in Win 7?

Formatting refers to the visual appearance of text and other elements in a document. When pasting from Open Office in Win 7, the formatting of the original document may be preserved or altered depending on the settings and compatibility of the programs.

Why does formatting change when pasting from Open Office in Win 7?

The formatting may change due to differences in the coding and formatting options between Open Office and Win 7. Additionally, if the destination document has different formatting settings, it may override the formatting of the pasted content.

How can I prevent formatting changes when pasting from Open Office in Win 7?

To prevent formatting changes, you can use the "Paste Special" option in Open Office and choose to paste as unformatted text. This will remove all formatting from the pasted content and only preserve the plain text.

Can I customize the formatting when pasting from Open Office in Win 7?

Yes, you can customize the formatting by adjusting the settings in both Open Office and Win 7. In Open Office, you can change the default paste options and in Win 7, you can modify the formatting settings for your document.

What should I do if the formatting is not preserved when pasting from Open Office in Win 7?

If the formatting is not preserved, you can try using the "Undo" function to revert the changes or manually adjust the formatting in the destination document. You can also check the compatibility settings between the two programs or try using a different method of copying and pasting, such as using a plain text editor.