Formation of Relativistic Jets from Black Holes

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of plasma jets in relation to black holes and their magnetic fields. The accretion disk, which contains ionized gas and is in turbulent flows, creates large scale magnetic fields that can be collimated along the rotational axis. This allows some of the gas in the disk to travel along the magnetic field and form a jet of particles. The conversation also mentions the possibility of learning more about this through studying magnetohydrodynamics or consulting with professors.
Oscar Wilde
I was recently watching a program when "gas" jets, or more properly, plasma jets became a topic. In regards to black holes, I am interested in how such jets can form. I believe that it has something to do with the magnetic fields around a BH, but I am unsure as to how
plasma jets form, and where the matter comes from. How can matter, which has presumably passed the event horizon, be shot out in such a jet?

All feedback appreciated,

Oscar

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't know much on this matter, but I was under the impression that the material never reached the event horizon. The accretion disk contains ionized gas, and can be in very turbulent flows. The disk can create large scale magnetic fields, which are collimated along the rotational axis by the rotation of the disk.

Some of the gas in the disk travels along this magnetic field. The accretion disk is not a solid object; it has a maximum density in the mid-plane, and falls off approximately exponentially off the plane. It is this outlying gas that makes its way along the magnetic field to form a beam of particles: a jet.

But don't take my word for it. You can read up on magnetohydrodynamics, or talk to professors about it.

Related to Formation of Relativistic Jets from Black Holes

1. How do black holes form relativistic jets?

Relativistic jets are formed when matter from the accretion disk surrounding a black hole is accelerated to near the speed of light. This acceleration is due to the intense gravitational pull of the black hole, which causes the matter to be heated and ejected at high speeds along the poles of the black hole.

2. What causes the particles in the jet to reach such high speeds?

The intense magnetic fields near the event horizon of the black hole play a crucial role in accelerating the particles in the jet. These fields act as a launching mechanism, funneling the charged particles along the magnetic field lines and giving them the energy needed to reach relativistic speeds.

3. How do we observe relativistic jets from black holes?

Relativistic jets can be observed through a variety of methods, including radio, X-ray, and gamma-ray telescopes. These telescopes can detect the synchrotron radiation emitted by the high-speed particles in the jet, as well as the emission from the interaction of the jet with its surroundings.

4. Do all black holes have relativistic jets?

No, not all black holes have relativistic jets. The formation of these jets is dependent on a number of factors, such as the mass and spin of the black hole, as well as the properties of the surrounding environment. Only a small percentage of black holes are known to have relativistic jets.

5. What role do relativistic jets play in the evolution of galaxies?

Relativistic jets from black holes play a significant role in the evolution of galaxies. They can transport large amounts of energy and matter, impacting the surrounding environment and influencing the growth of stars and galaxies. These jets also help to regulate the rate of star formation in galaxies, and can even affect the distribution of matter throughout the universe.