Form Factor (Nuclear): Understanding F(q) & F(q^2)

In summary, the conversation is about using the spherically symmetric form of the form factor in a given question. The notes from lectures define the form factor as F(q^2) and the question asks to find F(q). The person is confused about how to relate F(q) to F(q^2) and why the lecturer changed the equation in the solution. They are also looking for resources to understand this concept better.
tigger88

Homework Statement

I've been given a question using a spherically symmetric form of the form factor, but before I ask a specific question, I would like to get some more general advice and then try it on my own.
In my notes from lectures, the form factor is defined as:

F(q[tex]^{2}[/tex]) = 4[tex]\pi[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex]f(r) sin(|q|r/[tex]\hbar[/tex]) / (|q| r [tex]\hbar[/tex]) dr

But the question I've been given asks to find F(q). Is there some way to relate F(q) to F(q^2)?

Also, in the solution to this problem, my lecturer uses the following equation:

F(q) = 4(pi)/q [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\rho[/tex]r sin (qr) dr

What happened to the hbar and the r in the denominator?

Is there a website where I can learn about this in more detail, or even a textbook? I have been using Introductory Nuclear Physics by Krane and it doesn't seem to have much on it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework EquationsF(q^{2}) = 4\pi \intf(r) sin(|q|r/\hbar) / (|q| r \hbar) drF(q) = 4(pi)/q \int\rhor sin (qr) drThe Attempt at a SolutionI'm not sure how to relate F(q) to F(q^2). I think it has something to do with the fact that q is a vector, so that the magnitude of q is q^2. But I'm not sure how to use that to solve the problem.Also, I'm not sure why my lecturer changed the equation from F(q^2) to F(q). It seems like the hbar and the r should still be in the denominator. I'm guessing that it has something to do with the fact that the magnitude of q is q^2, so the denominator can be simplified, but I'm not sure how.I would appreciate any advice or resources to help me understand this better. Thanks!

Related to Form Factor (Nuclear): Understanding F(q) & F(q^2)

What is form factor in nuclear physics?

Form factor in nuclear physics refers to the mathematical function that describes the distribution of charge or matter within a nucleus. It is used to understand the internal structure of atomic nuclei and how they interact with external particles.

Why is understanding form factor important?

Understanding form factor is important because it provides valuable information about the size and shape of atomic nuclei, as well as their internal structure. This information is crucial for studying the fundamental properties of matter and for developing accurate nuclear models.

What is F(q) and F(q^2)?

F(q) and F(q^2) are two different representations of the form factor function, where q is the momentum transfer between the incident particle and the nucleus. F(q) is the form factor in the Fourier transform representation, while F(q^2) is the form factor in the coordinate space representation.

How is form factor measured?

Form factor can be measured through experiments that involve scattering particles off a nucleus. By analyzing the scattering data, scientists can determine the form factor and use it to study the internal structure of the nucleus.

What are some applications of form factor in nuclear physics?

Form factor has many applications in nuclear physics, including in the study of nuclear structure, nuclear reactions, and nuclear astrophysics. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as x-ray diffraction and electron microscopy.