Proton AND Work-Energy Theorem

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the work required to increase the speed of a proton in a high energy accelerator from 0.5c to 0.7c using the work-energy theorem. The original attempt at the equation did not take into account relativistic effects, and the correct equation for kinetic energy was provided. The answer for the work required was also given as 3.69e-11.
SsUeSbIaEs
Can some one help me out here, I have tried using several different methods but I still don't know what I am doing wrong.

The question is:

A proton in a high energy accelerator moves w/a speed of 0.5c, use the work-energy theorem to find the work required to increase its speed to 0.7c.

I have tried /\K=.5m(vf^2-vi^2), what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're not taking into account relativistic effects.

cookiemonster

Ugh!?

I don't know what your talking about,

I thought I would use:

.5m( (.7*c)^2-(.5*c)^2)

c= the speed of light

I was also told an equation like m^2c^2((1/sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2)))-1), but I kept geting zero for my answer and the actual answer is like 3.69??e-11, but I do not know how they got this answer??

Originally posted by SsUeSbIaEs
.5m( (.7*c)^2-(.5*c)^2)
This is only correct for low, non-relativistic speeds.
I was also told an equation like m^2c^2((1/sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2)))-1) ...
Use the relativistically correct expression for KE:
KE = mc^2((1/sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2)))-1)

What is a proton?

A proton is a subatomic particle that has a positive charge and is found in the nucleus of an atom.

What is the work-energy theorem?

The work-energy theorem is a principle in physics that states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

How are protons related to the work-energy theorem?

Protons are not directly related to the work-energy theorem. However, they are fundamental particles that make up atoms, and the work-energy theorem can be applied to understand the behavior of protons in various systems.

Can protons do work?

Protons themselves do not have the ability to do work. However, they can contribute to the work done on an object by interacting with other particles.

What is the significance of protons and the work-energy theorem?

The work-energy theorem helps us understand the behavior of protons and other particles in different systems, such as in the study of nuclear energy or particle accelerators. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.