Forces two objects apply on each other during inelastic collision

In summary, the problem involves two pucks colliding with each other, with the given pre- and post-collision velocities and collision time. To solve for the forces exerted by each puck on the other, the formula F = m(Δv/Δt) can be used, where F is force, m is mass, Δv is the change in velocity and Δt is the time interval. Another important concept to consider is Newton's Third Law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. To calculate the impulse, which is the magnitude of change in momentum, the formula J = Favg * t can be used.
austindubose

Homework Statement

11mavpi.png

Values from previous problem:
Pre-collision: v2kg=6m/s -->, v3kg=3m/s <--
Post-collision: v2kg=2m/s <--, v3kg=5.67m/s -->
Collision time: 0.2 sec

Homework Equations

F=mA=m(Δv/Δt)

The Attempt at a Solution

My instinct to solve this was to use the pre-collision values to find out the forces each puck had on each other, because it seems like post-collision values for velocity would be irrelevant because the pucks are no longer having any force on each other. So, I did the following...

Force of 2kg puck on 3kg puck: F=2kg(6m/s / 0.2 sec) = 60N
Force of 3kg puck on 2kg puck: F=3kg(3m/s / 0.2 sec) = 45N

Is this the correct way to approach this problem? Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
J = Favg*t. Also, Newton's Third Law.

Can you elaborate a bit on that? I'm not completely familiar with that formula. We probably just use different variables because I don't recognize the J.

J = magnitude of change in momentum.

I think watermelonpig is saying Impulse= Force(average) x Time Interval. I=Ft. I think most physics books call change in momentum, impulse, so maybe that will help. Your also given the time...

Related to Forces two objects apply on each other during inelastic collision

What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where two objects collide and stick together, resulting in a loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision is not conserved.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the objects bounce off each other and there is no loss of kinetic energy. In an inelastic collision, the objects stick together and there is a loss of kinetic energy.

What forces are involved in an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, there are two main forces involved: the normal force and the force of friction. The normal force is the force that keeps the objects in contact during the collision, while the force of friction acts to slow down the objects and dissipate kinetic energy.

How do you calculate the forces applied during an inelastic collision?

The forces applied during an inelastic collision can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By measuring the change in velocity and the mass of the objects involved, the forces applied can be calculated.

Can the forces applied during an inelastic collision be greater than the objects' weight?

Yes, the forces applied during an inelastic collision can be greater than the objects' weight. This is because during a collision, the objects experience an impulse, which is the change in momentum. This impulse can result in a force that is greater than the objects' weight.