Forces that keep a free vortex turning

In summary, the force that keeps particles in a vortex ring is a combination of surface tension, low pressure, and a velocity gradient. This creates a centripetal force that maintains the equilibrium of the vortex, similar to a wave with trapped energy.
bubal
I am trying to understand what forces keep a free vortex, (i.e. a vortex ring). Its rotating particles must have a force to avoid them going out (like gravity on planets). I have read about vortices and vorticity, but get lost in equations.
Is it possible to explain the force that keep the particles in a vortex ring in a qualitative way? Who is the responsible? (viscosity?, friction?, etc.)

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
bubal said:
I am trying to understand what forces keep a free vortex, (i.e. a vortex ring). Its rotating particles must have a force to avoid them going out (like gravity on planets). I have read about vortices and vorticity, but get lost in equations.
Is it possible to explain the force that keep the particles in a vortex ring in a qualitative way? Who is the responsible? (viscosity?, friction?, etc.)

Thank you!

In something like this, whales making vortexes in the ocean, I suspect the surface tension of the water is keeping the vortex together, but not sure.

Do you have a sample vortex in mind?

edguy99 said:
In something like this, whales making vortexes in the ocean, I suspect the surface tension of the water is keeping the vortex together, but not sure.

Do you have a sample vortex in mind?

Yes. A vortex smoke ring or an air vortex, like the ones from air vortex cannons. It is in the middle of the air so you don't have surfce tension. The particles in the vortex are rotating around a circular line and they are free. (Other vortices like a whirpool in a sink are not free because the water is falling). I think it is related to friction among layers of fluids in turbulent regimes, but don't understand where are the forces.

bubal said:
Yes. A vortex smoke ring or an air vortex, like the ones from air vortex cannons. It is in the middle of the air so you don't have surfce tension. The particles in the vortex are rotating around a circular line and they are free. (Other vortices like a whirpool in a sink are not free because the water is falling). I think it is related to friction among layers of fluids in turbulent regimes, but don't understand where are the forces.

The smoke ring or air vortex, its like a hurricane. I think the low pressure is what tends to draw in the molecules, the spinning is what tends to disperse the vortex.

Likes Fervent Freyja
edguy99 said:
The smoke ring or air vortex, its like a hurricane. I think the low pressure is what tends to draw in the molecules, the spinning is what tends to disperse the vortex.
So could it be a kind of Ventury effect?

bubal said:
Its rotating particles must have a force to avoid them going out (like gravity on planets).
You mean a centripetal force component, perpendicular to their velocity? This usually comes from a pressure gradient.

A.T. said:
You mean a centripetal force component, perpendicular to their velocity? This usually comes from a pressure gradient.
This is very interesting. No wonder it fascinated Prof. Boys, who invented the "bazooka" cannon. If we assume there is a low pressure in the core and a velocity around the outside, giving centripetal force, the two are in equilibrium. It is the same equilibrium we see in a wave, when
PE = KE. The vortex seems to look like a zero frequency wave, where energy is trapped.

Related to Forces that keep a free vortex turning

1. What is a free vortex?

A free vortex is a type of fluid flow where the particles in the fluid rotate around a central axis, creating a vortex or whirlpool-like motion. This type of motion is typically seen in fluids with low viscosity and no external forces acting on it.

2. What are the forces that keep a free vortex turning?

The forces that keep a free vortex turning are primarily the centrifugal force and the Coriolis force. The centrifugal force is generated by the outward movement of the fluid particles due to their rotation, while the Coriolis force is caused by the rotation of the Earth and its effect on the fluid particles.

3. How does the shape of the container affect the free vortex?

The shape of the container can affect the free vortex by altering the speed and direction of the fluid flow. A cylindrical container will create a symmetrical vortex, while a conical container will result in a non-symmetrical vortex. The shape of the container can also affect the stability of the vortex and how long it will last.

4. What factors can cause a free vortex to break down?

A free vortex can break down due to several factors, such as an increase in fluid viscosity, the presence of external forces (such as wind or obstacles), and changes in the shape or size of the container. These factors can disrupt the balance of forces that keep the vortex turning and cause it to dissipate.

5. How is a free vortex used in real-world applications?

Free vortices have several practical applications, including in tornado and hurricane research, propeller and turbine design, and in industrial processes such as mixing and stirring. They are also used in some types of pumps and in fluid mechanics experiments to study the behavior of fluids under different conditions.