Forces that can be considered centripetal force

Although there are several forces that can contribute to centripetal force, it is ultimately a resultant force that causes an object to move in a curved path. This includes static friction, contact force, tension, gravity, and possibly kinetic friction in certain contexts. However, the concept of a centripetal force is not limited to just rotation and can also involve changes in direction.
kolua
Can you help me find the kind of force that can result in a rotation?(the force that can be considered as centripetal force)
I know that static friction, contact force, tension, gravity can cause rotation, what else?
can you help me find as many as possible?

and kinetic friction can't cause rotation right?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, centripetal force is a resultant force, not a specific applied force. In a given context, several forces may contribute to it.
Although I've encountered other views on this, I believe a centripetal force is any net force that results in a change of direction, i.e. a curved path. "Rotation" might be too restrictive. See e.g. Wikipedia and Hyperphysics on the subject. This would certainly include kinetic friction in some contexts. E.g., consider sliding a block in, initially, a horizontal direction across a sloping surface.

Related to Forces that can be considered centripetal force

1. What is a centripetal force?

A centripetal force is a force that acts towards the center of a circular motion, keeping an object moving in a curved path. It is always directed perpendicular to the velocity of the object and is necessary for the object to maintain its circular motion.

2. What are some examples of forces that can be considered centripetal?

Some common examples of centripetal forces include the gravitational force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun, the tension force in a string that keeps a ball moving in a circular path, and the friction force between a car's tires and the road that allows it to turn around a curve.

3. How is centripetal force related to centripetal acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it. In the case of circular motion, the centripetal force is responsible for the centripetal acceleration that keeps the object moving in a curved path.

4. Can centripetal force change the speed of an object?

No, centripetal force does not change the speed of an object. It only changes the direction of the object's velocity, keeping it moving in a circular path. The speed of the object remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

5. How is centripetal force calculated?

The magnitude of centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F = (mv^2)/r, where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path. This formula is derived from the equation for centripetal acceleration, a = v^2/r, and Newton's Second Law of Motion, F = ma.