Forces on a spinning disk

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of calculating the forces on a spinning disk in order to determine its maximum safe RPM. The speaker mentions their understanding of centripetal and centrifugal forces but expresses difficulty in setting up the problem to calculate the forces that go beyond the material's yield strength. They ask for suggestions, ideas, and formulas, and are advised to research "flywheels" for more information. The potential hazards of experimenting with high RPM disks are also mentioned. The conversation concludes with a recommendation to search for "Disk Burst" for help with calculating the forces generated by spinning.
pmlapl
I would like to be able to calculate the forces on a spinning disk to determine the rpm it will fly apart given its dimensions and the mechanical properties of the material it's made of. I understand centripital and centrifugal forces. However, I'm not understanding how I to set up the problem to calculate the forces that would go beyond the yield strength of the material. Suggestions, ideas, formulas? Thanks for the help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's a good question that, fortunately, has been well studied.

I am not competent enough to give you a direct answer, but I do know that Googling the term "flywheels" will present to you many hours of interesting info.

One "obvious" note: high rpm disks are extremely dangerous due to their instability/fragmentation potential which CAN RESULT IN A LETHAL ENVIRONMENT.

Treat this subject with considerable respect of the potential hazards should you wish to experiment with it.

Anyway, googling flywheels will give you some great info.

There was actually recently a post regarding this same thing. If you cannot find it here, do a google for "Disk Burst", which will help you calculate the radial and circumferential forces generated by spinning.

Thanks much. I'll try that.

Related to Forces on a spinning disk

What is a spinning disk?

A spinning disk is a circular object that rotates around a central axis. It can be made of various materials such as metal, plastic, or even paper.

What are the forces acting on a spinning disk?

The main forces acting on a spinning disk are centripetal force, centrifugal force, and friction. Centripetal force pulls the disk towards the center of rotation, while centrifugal force pushes it away from the center. Friction acts in the opposite direction of the spinning motion, slowing down the rotation.

How does the speed of rotation affect the forces on a spinning disk?

The faster a disk spins, the greater the centripetal and centrifugal forces become. This is because the centripetal force is directly proportional to the square of the angular velocity, while the centrifugal force is directly proportional to the angular velocity. Friction also increases with higher speeds, resisting the rotation of the disk.

What is the relationship between the size and shape of a spinning disk and the forces acting on it?

The larger and/or heavier a spinning disk is, the greater the forces acting on it will be. This is because larger disks have a greater moment of inertia, making it harder for them to change their rotational state. The shape of the disk also affects the distribution of forces, with a more compact shape resulting in higher centripetal and centrifugal forces.

How do forces on a spinning disk affect its stability?

The forces acting on a spinning disk determine its stability. If the centripetal force is greater than the centrifugal force, the disk will remain stable and continue to spin. However, if the centrifugal force becomes greater, the disk will become unstable and may eventually stop spinning or even fly apart. Friction also plays a role in stability, as it can slow down the rotation and contribute to a more stable state.