Forces in Damped Forced Oscillations?

In summary, in a mass spring system in steady state, all three forces (driving, damping, and restoring) are still present and contribute to the overall displacement of the system. The final displacement is determined by the natural frequency of the system, the driving force frequency, and the damping term.
applestrudle
The example I'm thinking of is a mass spring system.

x = Ae^([itex]\gamma[/itex]/2)t cos(wt +a) + Ccos(wt)

If the steady state has been reached, the displacement due to the free oscillations will be negligible, so does that mean that the only force acting on the mass is the driving force, F0cos(wt)? Has the restoring force (-kx) disappeared or is it still acting (so that the resultant force = -kx + F0cos(wt))?

I'm having trouble understanding how the resultant force on the mass changes in the steady state.
It would make sense (to me) if -kx disappears andthe driving force is the only one present but then where does the restoring force go?

:confused:

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the restoring force doesn't magically disappear.

dauto said:
No, the restoring force doesn't magically disappear.

But when the free oscillations have died out the restoring force must be very small, right? Because the displacement due to the free oscillation is small?

The restoring force is -kx, where x is the total displacement, that's it. I think you're getting confused by splitting the oscillations into forced and free.

I'm not sure what the original expression is supposed to represent. If a natural oscillator is driven with a periodic force at (or near) its natural frequency, the result will be a resonance. The amplitude (at the driving frequency) will build up until the input power is the same as the power being dissipated. The 'original' energy in the freely oscillating system will gradually be dissipated, according to the Q of the system. The final amplitude will depend upon where the driving frequency sits on the response curve. The energy in the oscillator could be many times the energy input, per cycle, of the driving source.

Last edited:
applestrudle said:
The example I'm thinking of is a mass spring system.

x = Ae^([itex]\gamma[/itex]/2)t cos(wt +a) + Ccos(wt)

If the steady state has been reached, the displacement due to the free oscillations will be negligible, so does that mean that the only force acting on the mass is the driving force, F0cos(wt)? Has the restoring force (-kx) disappeared or is it still acting (so that the resultant force = -kx + F0cos(wt))?

I'm having trouble understanding how the resultant force on the mass changes in the steady state.
It would make sense (to me) if -kx disappears andthe driving force is the only one present but then where does the restoring force go?

:confused:Thanks

Hyperphysics does your exact problem (assuming your gamma is negative so that it is actually damped). Here they give a break down of how each parameter of the original equation contributes to the final solution, therefore giving you an idea of which physics is dominating:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/oscdr.html#c2

Notice that the final steady state solution depends on the natural frequency of the system, wo (determined by both k and m) as well as the driving force frequency, w, and even the damping term, gamma. So the final solution really depends on all physical parameters involved (and thus all physical phenomena involved).

All three forces are still present in steady state: driving, damping, and restoring force.

As long as x≠0, the restoring force -kx is nonzero.

A similar argument holds for the damping force provided v≠0

Related to Forces in Damped Forced Oscillations?

1. What is a damped forced oscillation?

A damped forced oscillation is a type of motion in which a system undergoes repeated back-and-forth movements, but with a decreasing amplitude due to the presence of a damping force. This type of oscillation can be seen in a variety of systems, such as a mass on a spring with air resistance or an electrical circuit with resistance.

2. What causes damping in forced oscillations?

Damping in forced oscillations is caused by the presence of a dissipative force, which acts against the motion of the system and leads to a decrease in the amplitude of the oscillation. Examples of dissipative forces include friction, air resistance, and electrical resistance.

3. How is a damped forced oscillation different from a simple harmonic motion?

A damped forced oscillation differs from simple harmonic motion in that it experiences a decreasing amplitude due to the presence of a damping force, whereas simple harmonic motion has a constant amplitude. Additionally, the frequency of a damped forced oscillation may be different from the natural frequency of the system, whereas simple harmonic motion occurs at the natural frequency.

4. How is the behavior of a damped forced oscillation affected by the strength of the damping force?

The strength of the damping force in a damped forced oscillation affects the rate at which the amplitude decreases. A stronger damping force will result in a faster decrease in amplitude, while a weaker damping force will result in a slower decrease in amplitude. If the damping force is too strong, the oscillation will eventually stop completely.

5. Can a damped forced oscillation be described mathematically?

Yes, a damped forced oscillation can be described mathematically using differential equations. These equations take into account the damping force, the natural frequency of the system, and the applied force to determine the behavior of the oscillation over time. By solving these equations, we can predict the amplitude and frequency of the oscillation at any given time.